Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buying phone off contract question

I have a dumb question for those that can help me. I'm new to this mobile plan thing and I have no idea what I'm doing.

So I'm currently one year into a 2-year contract with AT&T and I was wanting to get a new phone. The phone I'm looking to get is the Motorola Moto X and I have that all figured out and priced up as the full retail price. But my question is that if I do buy this phone, what happens to my contract at AT&T?

Do I have to pay an early termination fee to get it activated? Do have to sign in a new contract with them to get it working? Or do I simply just pop in my SIM card and be good to go?
    If you could provide me with any help/advice or even direct me into the proper thread for this type of question I'd appreciate it.

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Default Re: Buying phone off contract question

If you are paying full retail then it will not affect your contract. They may charge an activation fee if your current sim card is not compatible. And if I am correct the Moto X has a sim card pre-installed and may not be removable.
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One

Your contract can stay intact if you want. There is no need for a new contract. If the SIM fits it might work but not likely. Easiest thing to do is go into an At&t store and have them put a new SIM in and make sure it gets programmed for you. There maybe a small $10 fee for the new SIM card but nothing about your contract should change and you will still be eligible for an upgrade at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Your contract can stay intact if you want. There is no need for a new contract. If the SIM fits it might work but not likely. Easiest thing to do is go into an At&t store and have them put a new SIM in and make sure it gets programmed for you. There maybe a small $10 fee for the new SIM card but nothing about your contract should change and you will still be eligible for an upgrade at the same time.
    They wont charge any money for new SIM if you are an existing customer.
    I did the same thing last year. i went to ATT store and asked for a SIM compatible with my new Nexus 4 and asked them to activate it. it took only 5 min

Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    If you are paying full retail then it will not affect your contract. They may charge an activation fee if your current sim card is not compatible. And if I am correct the Moto X has a sim card pre-installed and may not be removable.
    no. they wont charge activation fee.

@OP They will tell you that they wont support the device since its your own phone. The only thing I see is the data, since you are using feature phone now they might ask you to add data plan
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Rukbat likes this.