Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Foramex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Question Newest User / Android Issues??

Hello,

Didn't know where to put this one, but I thought I would start here.

I purchased the Nexus 5 on release day and rec'd it a Few days later. I came from an iPhone 4s and figured it was time to give android a real chance. This wasnít my first android device just also ran in to problems in the past and gave up to early. I use the phone daily, games, email, remote access to my serverÖmore than normal. Iím always looking for new apps to try. So, this might be the reason why my few android devices always end up driving me nuts.

So I got all my stuff set up and transferred over, it was going great for about 2 weeks when google search started crashing every few hours than just stopped after 2 days. A few weeks go by when come up google search has stopped responding and this time my icons and widgets didnít come back. It was like when I first started the phone, just google chrome and the google folder. So I restarted it, nothing. Did some research and was told to wipe the cache partition. Which restored half the icons but no widgets, whole pages of my app where just gone. That this point I figured I would just re setup everything and be done with it. Crap happens, is what my co-workers tell me and you get used to it.
    About month went but with this app crashing and that app crashing, till enough was enough. I backed up the phone and wipeÖMaybe I did something wrong and figured a fresh start would help. I set it back and restored from back upÖLocked up half thoughÖok than, All start completely over. Setup each up and this was working great, better than my first run. I figured I had fixed it. I was happy. Till last night

I get a message saying that my data was at 40% use for the month. I thought was weird, first time Iíve come that close to my 6GB cap, this soon in the month. Seeing Iím on day 9, I decided to look into it. Google + alone has used 1.5 GB mobile data and 3.56 GB of Wi-Fi since the 1st, so I checked the settings. I have Wi-Fi back up setup and only when charging. Back to the forums I go, Iíve found other with this issue but no reason why. Some people say to remove the updates and start over. So I did and overnight it when though another 500 mb of data. I donít even have 500 mb of photos and videos on this phone. What the hell is thing doing?

So this is where Iím at, I know this is long winded but I thought I would see if anything else has had this many issues. I wonít even get into my week wipes of my nexus 7 when I had it. Thatís a different story all on its own.

But if you can help me out before I give up again that would be great. I love this phone and refuse to go to anything else with a smaller screen. Really want to make this work.

Thanks in advance.

Matt -

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Default Re: Newest User / Android Issues??

Quote Originally Posted by MTapester View Post
    Hello,

Didn't know where to put this one, but I thought I would start here.

I purchased the Nexus 5 on release day and rec'd it a Few days later. I came from an iPhone 4s and figured it was time to give android a real chance. This wasn’t my first android device just also ran in to problems in the past and gave up to early. I use the phone daily, games, email, remote access to my server…more than normal. I’m always looking for new apps to try. So, this might be the reason why my few android devices always end up driving me nuts.

So I got all my stuff set up and transferred over, it was going great for about 2 weeks when google search started crashing every few hours than just stopped after 2 days. A few weeks go by when come up google search has stopped responding and this time my icons and widgets didn’t come back. It was like when I first started the phone, just google chrome and the google folder. So I restarted it, nothing. Did some research and was told to wipe the cache partition. Which restored half the icons but no widgets, whole pages of my app where just gone. That this point I figured I would just re setup everything and be done with it. Crap happens, is what my co-workers tell me and you get used to it.
    About month went but with this app crashing and that app crashing, till enough was enough. I backed up the phone and wipe…Maybe I did something wrong and figured a fresh start would help. I set it back and restored from back up…Locked up half though…ok than, All start completely over. Setup each up and this was working great, better than my first run. I figured I had fixed it. I was happy. Till last night

I get a message saying that my data was at 40% use for the month. I thought was weird, first time I’ve come that close to my 6GB cap, this soon in the month. Seeing I’m on day 9, I decided to look into it. Google + alone has used 1.5 GB mobile data and 3.56 GB of Wi-Fi since the 1st, so I checked the settings. I have Wi-Fi back up setup and only when charging. Back to the forums I go, I’ve found other with this issue but no reason why. Some people say to remove the updates and start over. So I did and overnight it when though another 500 mb of data. I don’t even have 500 mb of photos and videos on this phone. What the hell is thing doing?

So this is where I’m at, I know this is long winded but I thought I would see if anything else has had this many issues. I won’t even get into my week wipes of my nexus 7 when I had it. That’s a different story all on its own.

But if you can help me out before I give up again that would be great. I love this phone and refuse to go to anything else with a smaller screen. Really want to make this work.

Thanks in advance.

Matt -
    Your problems sound really strange...
    It probably as something to do with a certain app you downloaded. Do you have a launcher/rooted/etc.? Try to reset the device and don't re-install anything, and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, you probably downloaded a bad app, so you better download each app separately, make sure there isn't any problem with it, etc,
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Thanks Foramex,
    I have just the basic Google Launcher and it is rooted. All try and wipe it tonight when I get Home. Seeing Google + has chewed though 175 MB in the last hour and haven't taken any photos. I have set it to restrict background data... See if that helps.

The guys here at work have no idea why i have so many problems either.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Think I mite have fixed it, I wiped the cache partition and it seems to have stopped after booting back up.

On a Side note, How often sure you have to wipe the cache partition thought recovery mode? It seems that i need to do it monthly.

Welcome to Android Central, and sorry to hear about your problems! But I'm glad someone was able to help you. You shouldn't have to wipe the cache partition frequently. I agree with Foramex--it's possible that some app you installed was causing problems, and when you did the initial factory reset and restored everything, you restored that bad app.

Google+ does seem to use a lot of data for certain people. Do you have Location Sharing on? Perhaps Google+ is accessing the web a lot because it's constantly updating your location to your contacts. Open Google+, tap the Menu button, then Settings, then Location Sharing. If you don't care about sharing your location with your friends, then turn it off.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Think I mite have fixed it, I wiped the cache partition and it seems to have stopped after booting back up.

On a Side note, How often sure you have to wipe the cache partition thought recovery mode? It seems that i need to do it monthly.
    I currently own an LG G2. I never had to wipe the cache, and that's since I don't download many apps at once, so if something is wrong I know what's probably causing it (which hasn't happened yet thankfully). I agree with B. Diddy, Google's apps are known to use much data at random times, and I turn location sharing/access/etc. off, and I try to give Google as little permission as possible. I know that might be hard owning a Google (Nexus) device, but try your best to disable as many option as you can.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

So I turned off the Location service, but i Guess i spoke to soon and fixing the issue, a few hours later it started back up and now it's using so much power that it's won't even change. I'm going to go ahead with the factory reset. it shouldn't start to reinstall all the apps once i sign back in will it?

So I turned off the Location service, but i Guess i spoke to soon and fixing the issue, a few hours later it started back up and now it's using so much power that it's won't even change. I'm going to go ahead with the factory reset. it shouldn't start to reinstall all the apps once i sign back in will it?
    You could use Greenify on Google+. This would limit data use and allow you to still use the app.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

When I just recieved the LG G2 I encountered a similiar issue, with Google Services using much battery. What I actually did was a factory reset, but in contrary to the initial boot-up, this time I said NO to all the things Google asked for and I could say no. I also told it not to sync anything, and I think that prevented it from re-downloading. Try doing that!
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

oh ok, perfect, Yeah, i did a factory reset and added each app one by one, Haven't had the issue come back yet.

Also SactoKingsFan, I installed Greenify on the nexus and when i pointed it to Google+ it gave me this long warning about having it watch system files.

Either way, Thanks for the info everyone. Had to spend some time on my iphone 4s yesterday and couldn't get over how small it is now and really didn't want to have to stay there.