Banner notifications on Android?

mikesaa309

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've come from an Iphone 4S to a Galaxy S4. I'm really liking android and I don't know why I thought Iphone was better, android is just amazing. Anyway there are a few things I don't like but it's mainly down to my preference and what I'm used to. I don't really like the way notifications are handled. On IOS you get a banner which yes can be obtrusive but I could click on the notification and it would take me to the app. For example if I got a comment on a facebook post and was notified then I could click on the banner and it would take me to that post on facebook so I could see the comment.

While android notifications are way less obtrusive I don't seem to be able to click on them to open the app and instead I have to open the notification shade to click on them. I would like to be able to tap the status bar when it changes to a notification but I don't seem to be able to. I have gotten round this by downloading an app that adds IOS banner like notifications that work just fine and I can still swipe them to dismiss them. However I would like to be able to tap the status bar when it changes into a small like banner thing. Is there a way to do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and I'm glad that you're enjoying Android so far! There are a lot of 3rd party notification apps out there, so the best thing I can suggest is to keep searching on Google Play for one that does what you're looking for. The Notification Bar is pretty small, so it's probably impractical to make it tappable. Personally, I find it second nature now to swipe down the Notification Shade to see my notifications, then tap any that I want to examine further (which then opens the app).

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and I'm glad that you're enjoying Android so far! There are a lot of 3rd party notification apps out there, so the best thing I can suggest is to keep searching on Google Play for one that does what you're looking for. The Notification Bar is pretty small, so it's probably impractical to make it tappable. Personally, I find it second nature now to swipe down the Notification Shade to see my notifications, then tap any that I want to examine further (which then opens the app).

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any notification app that gives a bottom loaded peek-view notification, sorta like the Palm Pre? Wouldn’t be exactly like it, I know, but anything similar so that it ends up on the bottom, and possibly able to be swiped away? Okay if it's over whatever screen i'm on at the time.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question, but is there any notification app that gives a bottom loaded notification, sorta like the Palm Pre? Wouldn’t be exactly like it, I know, but anything similar so that it ends up on the bottom, and possibly able to be swiped away? Okay if it's over whatever screen i'm on at the time.
I took a quick look and don't see anything to move the notification on the bottom. The closest WebOS operation I found is Wave Launcher, which creates WebOS feel when browsing Apps and services.

OP, glad to see you are enjoying your switch. Hopefully you find something along the lines of what you are looking for. I can't think of anything off-hand, but will definitely keep an eye out and suggest it if something comes up.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I took a quick look and don't see anything to move the notification on the bottom. The closest WebOS operation I found is Wave Launcher, which creates WebOS feel when browsing Apps and services.

funnily enough, the one thing i didnt' care for on the pre was that wave thing, i never quite understood how it benefitted me. lol. I used it maybe 3 times.

OP, glad to see you are enjoying your switch.

Well, I had to switch cuz stupid palm/hp killed it and I needed a larger screen and updated processor. Sigh. I’ll be using injectable HP ink for the rest of my life, lol, they don’t get $1! Lol.

Hopefully you find something along the lines of what you are looking for. I can't think of anything off-hand, but will definitely keep an eye out and suggest it if something comes up.

thanks! very kind of you. : )

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
funnily enough, the one thing i didnt' care for on the pre was that wave thing, i never quite understood how it benefitted me. lol. I used it maybe 3 times.

Well, I had to switch cuz stupid palm/hp killed it and I needed a larger screen and updated processor. Sigh. I?ll be using injectable HP ink for the rest of my life, lol, they don?t get $1! Lol.

thanks! very kind of you. : )

Just for future reference, OP means original poster. Or in this case, mikesaa309 :)
He was talking to him, but I guess it applied to you too lol

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool