Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Sophos
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Notifications on android?

Hi,

I've come from an Iphone 4S to a Galaxy S4. I'm really liking android and I don't know why I thought Iphone was better, android is just amazing. Anyway there are a few things I don't like but it's mainly down to my preference and what I'm used to. I don't really like the way notifications are handled. On IOS you get a banner which yes can be obtrusive but I could click on the notification and it would take me to the app. For example if I got a comment on a facebook post and was notified then I could click on the banner and it would take me to that post on facebook so I could see the comment.

While android notifications are way less obtrusive I don't seem to be able to click on them to open the app and instead I have to open the notification shade to click on them. I would like to be able to tap the status bar when it changes to a notification but I don't seem to be able to. I have gotten round this by downloading an app that adds IOS banner like notifications that work just fine and I can still swipe them to dismiss them. However I would like to be able to tap the status bar when it changes into a small like banner thing. Is there a way to do this?

Default Re: Notifications on android?

Welcome to Android Central, and I'm glad that you're enjoying Android so far! There are a lot of 3rd party notification apps out there, so the best thing I can suggest is to keep searching on Google Play for one that does what you're looking for. The Notification Bar is pretty small, so it's probably impractical to make it tappable. Personally, I find it second nature now to swipe down the Notification Shade to see my notifications, then tap any that I want to examine further (which then opens the app).
    srkmagnus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central, and I'm glad that you're enjoying Android so far! There are a lot of 3rd party notification apps out there, so the best thing I can suggest is to keep searching on Google Play for one that does what you're looking for. The Notification Bar is pretty small, so it's probably impractical to make it tappable. Personally, I find it second nature now to swipe down the Notification Shade to see my notifications, then tap any that I want to examine further (which then opens the app).
    Maybe a dumb question, but is there any notification app that gives a bottom loaded peek-view notification, sorta like the Palm Pre? Wouldn’t be exactly like it, I know, but anything similar so that it ends up on the bottom, and possibly able to be swiped away? Okay if it's over whatever screen i'm on at the time.
    Last edited by paisley99; 01-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but is there any notification app that gives a bottom loaded notification, sorta like the Palm Pre? Wouldn’t be exactly like it, I know, but anything similar so that it ends up on the bottom, and possibly able to be swiped away? Okay if it's over whatever screen i'm on at the time.
    I took a quick look and don't see anything to move the notification on the bottom. The closest WebOS operation I found is Wave Launcher, which creates WebOS feel when browsing Apps and services.

OP, glad to see you are enjoying your switch. Hopefully you find something along the lines of what you are looking for. I can't think of anything off-hand, but will definitely keep an eye out and suggest it if something comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I took a quick look and don't see anything to move the notification on the bottom. The closest WebOS operation I found is Wave Launcher, which creates WebOS feel when browsing Apps and services.
    funnily enough, the one thing i didnt' care for on the pre was that wave thing, i never quite understood how it benefitted me. lol. I used it maybe 3 times.

OP, glad to see you are enjoying your switch.
    Well, I had to switch cuz stupid palm/hp killed it and I needed a larger screen and updated processor. Sigh. I’ll be using injectable HP ink for the rest of my life, lol, they don’t get $1! Lol.

Hopefully you find something along the lines of what you are looking for. I can't think of anything off-hand, but will definitely keep an eye out and suggest it if something comes up.
    thanks! very kind of you. : )

Global Posts
    5,573 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    funnily enough, the one thing i didnt' care for on the pre was that wave thing, i never quite understood how it benefitted me. lol. I used it maybe 3 times.

Well, I had to switch cuz stupid palm/hp killed it and I needed a larger screen and updated processor. Sigh. Iíll be using injectable HP ink for the rest of my life, lol, they donít get $1! Lol.

thanks! very kind of you. : )
    Just for future reference, OP means original poster. Or in this case, mikesaa309
    He was talking to him, but I guess it applied to you too lol

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

I am pretty sure that NotifierPro does most everything you guys are wanting. I know it has actionable banner notifications with custom set timeout intervals and the ability to set the banner popup to top, center or bottom.

I play with food
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Just for future reference, OP means original poster. Or in this case, mikesaa309
    He was talking to him, but I guess it applied to you too lol

Posted via Android Central App
    oh, lol. not paying attention today. thanks.