Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please Help! Can't Get Galaxy S4 Keyboards To Remember Words Now

As of a few days ago, my Galaxy S4 suddenly forgot all the words I regularly use (read: "bad" words). I now have to type each letter out every time, whereas I was just able to swype them and it knew what word I wanted.

- In my Language and Input section I had three options: Google voice typing, Samsung keyboard, and Swype. Google voice typing keeps being checked even if I uncheck it, and the other two have check boxes but won't react if I try to check them.

- I went into each and made sure all options like "Block offensive words" is unselected.

-I downloaded Google Keyboard in the Play store and selected that as default (though Google voice typing is still also selected) and went in and turned off Block offensive words. I added my own offensive words to the dictionary. It's still not recognizing them.

Someone please help! Between my friends' strange names and my foul vocabulary, texting is suddenly much more time consuming! Thanks

Global Posts
    5,420 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Please Help! Can't Get Galaxy S4 Keyboards To Remember Words Now

Kind of weird. Seems like you've done everything right.
    Was there an update recently that could've knock out your "words"?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't really keep up with that stuff, but someone mentioned a recent update to me. Either way...I don't know how to fix it now!

Global Posts
    5,420 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Have you done a battery pull?
    Sometimes that little thing can help.

How about going into each keyboard app and clear the cache to start fresh?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

If you select Swype as your default, it should automatically remember the words once you type them and then tap on the word in the bar above the keyboard. It will prompt you to "add to the dictionary" automatically. Any reason you chose Google keyboard over swype? I've found swype to be the best. Also, you can leave all the boxes you mentioned in your first post checked, and it won't change anything.

My sister and I both have this phone and this happened to both of us as well we did not update anything just one day autocorrect forgot all of our saved words . It used to be that after I typed it once it would remember it or I would have the option to save it, that option is not there anymore and now I have to make sure that it doesn't substitute a simple word like "ok" with something else. It is very annoying, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by amocksun View Post
    As of a few days ago, my Galaxy S4 suddenly forgot all the words I regularly use (read: "bad" words). I now have to type each letter out every time, whereas I was just able to swype them and it knew what word I wanted.

- In my Language and Input section I had three options: Google voice typing, Samsung keyboard, and Swype. Google voice typing keeps being checked even if I uncheck it, and the other two have check boxes but won't react if I try to check them.

- I went into each and made sure all options like "Block offensive words" is unselected.

-I downloaded Google Keyboard in the Play store and selected that as default (though Google voice typing is still also selected) and went in and turned off Block offensive words. I added my own offensive words to the dictionary. It's still not recognizing them.

Someone please help! Between my friends' strange names and my foul vocabulary, texting is suddenly much more time consuming! Thanks
    I had this problem too, that i found was that the Samsung off/on toggles have sub menus too which makes a horrible user interface experience.

Go to Settings > Language and input
    Click on the cog next to Samsung Keyboard
    Click the label for 'predictive text'
    Select Personalised data

See if that helps

Thanks, I managed to solve my S4 issue. It must have been some update or "reset to factory settings". Here is what I did. Go to settings, my device, language and input, tap on "gear" next to "samsung keyboard", tap on predictive text (my predictive text was on), then tap on "learn from" option you prefer. Once I did that all came back.