Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By msndrstood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a way to buy new Google Play music and have it save to external sd?

My daughter has a ZTE Supreme. The internal sd memory is full, so she can't load any new music or anything. She has 29GB of memory on an external sd card, and $50 worth of Google Play cards. I have checked the settings on her Google Play app, and the option to download to an external sd isn't there. Is there any way she can purchase music and have it go right to the external sd if that isn't listed as an option? Is there any way I can load the music onto the card if it's done on my laptop?

I'm so furious right now - we got her this memory expansion and told family members to get her Google Play cards so she could get more music on her phone. I think it's very misleading to say that a phone has expandable memory and then when you actually get it you find out you can't even use it. I'm so disgusted and annoyed right now. Please share any tips or advice you may have. Thanks!
  2. Best Answer

Welcome to Android Central! Although mrsmumbles is correct, I think the process of locating those coded music files may be too much of a hassle for you. Mikes_phone_and_tab's suggestion is probably a better way to go. Install the Google Music Manager to your computer, and use it to download your entire Google Music library or just your purchased music--when you use the Music Manager, you can do this an unlimited number of times. If you download an individual album from the your Google Music Library on the website, you're limited to a total of 2 downloads for that album, so you'd want to use those downloads wisely (this is part of an effort to limit rampant music copying).

Once you've downloaded your music, you can then insert a microSD card into the computer, and drag and drop the music from the computer to the microSD card (I suggest into a folder called "My Music"). Then reinsert the microSD card back into the phone. Once the card is mounted, the system will scan it for media, and then your music player apps will be able to access the songs.

Default Re: Is there a way to buy new Google Play music and have it save to external sd?

On the computer, Google does allow you to download a copy of your purchased music onto the computer. You can then move them to your SD Card. They only allow you to do this once or twice so you have to be sure to keep it safe after its downloaded.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Is there a way to buy new Google Play music and have it save to external sd?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Liz View Post
    My daughter has a ZTE Supreme. The internal sd memory is full, so she can't load any new music or anything. She has 29GB of memory on an external sd card, and $50 worth of Google Play cards. I have checked the settings on her Google Play app, and the option to download to an external sd isn't there. Is there any way she can purchase music and have it go right to the external sd if that isn't listed as an option? Is there any way I can load the music onto the card if it's done on my laptop?

I'm so furious right now - we got her this memory expansion and told family members to get her Google Play cards so she could get more music on her phone. I think it's very misleading to say that a phone has expandable memory and then when you actually get it you find out you can't even use it. I'm so disgusted and annoyed right now. Please share any tips or advice you may have. Thanks!
    Download ES File Explorer from the Play Store. Using it, find the music in the phone, it should be in a music folder but it won't have proper song titles, more like long numeric titles.

Long press a song. At the bottom, in the file explorer, you'll see the option to copy. Copy the music (at the top press the 4 squares-in-a-square to "select all" and then copy to the card.

It's not as easy as it should be but it can certainly be done. She can rename each song too with the file explorer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to Android Central! Although mrsmumbles is correct, I think the process of locating those coded music files may be too much of a hassle for you. Mikes_phone_and_tab's suggestion is probably a better way to go. Install the Google Music Manager to your computer, and use it to download your entire Google Music library or just your purchased music--when you use the Music Manager, you can do this an unlimited number of times. If you download an individual album from the your Google Music Library on the website, you're limited to a total of 2 downloads for that album, so you'd want to use those downloads wisely (this is part of an effort to limit rampant music copying).

Once you've downloaded your music, you can then insert a microSD card into the computer, and drag and drop the music from the computer to the microSD card (I suggest into a folder called "My Music"). Then reinsert the microSD card back into the phone. Once the card is mounted, the system will scan it for media, and then your music player apps will be able to access the songs.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post

Sorry double post.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post

This. I was going to post the exact same thing but B Diddy beat me to it.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    B. Diddy likes this.