1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any Way to Remotely Enable GPS?

I have a Galaxy Nexus (purchased directly from Google) running Jelly Bean. Is there anyway to remotely enable GPS without rooting?
    Last edited by legaleagle07; 01-11-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Re: Any Way to Remotely Enable GPS?

Not sure what you are asking...
    Please Check Out My Website about Android and Apple News!! http://www.ziffid.com
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I would like to know is if there are any apps (or other methods) that allow me to activate my Galaxy Nexus' GPS from another device (my pc, another phone, etc.).

If I lose my phone and GPS wasn't activated at that time, I am looking for a way that I could activate the GPS remotely to allow the phone to be located accurately with ADM or Lookout.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Nobody has an answer?

That's kind of hard because with newer version of Android, Google disable the ability to enable GPS without user interaction. Some phone can do it using Tasker with it's plugin Secure Settings with it's Helper's plugin (plugin within plugin). With KitKat, however, I found even that doesn't work anymore.

I think phone finder apps with "device administrator" privilege may be able to do it, like Android Device Manager and Cerberus.

You can probably create a Tasker profile that when it receive a specific SMS it will perform a task, enable GPS.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Android Device Manager does not remotely turn on GPS. If my location settings are turned off and I tried to use device manager to find my phone, it just tells me my phone can't be found.

Strangely, the remote part is easy. It's the turning GPS on automatically that's difficult. I believe in JB you have to be rooted to toggle GPS and location services requires user interaction to turn on if you aren't rooted, too.