1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Keyboard Case

fwiw, and in case it might be of value to other users, I accidentally discovered an undocumented, but very useful Android Google Keyboard function.

Highlight any word, group of words or part of a word

Tapping <shift> will then toggle the selected text through LOWER CASE, CAPITALIZED and UPPER CASE

The above works only with the Google Keyboard App and does not work on any of the third party keyboard apps that I have installed, so, it is not part of the android os.

Beverly Howard
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Google Keyboard Case

handy tip thanks

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by bevhoward View Post
    fwiw, and in case it might be of value to other users, I accidentally discovered an undocumented, but very useful Android Google Keyboard function.

Highlight any word, group of words or part of a word

Tapping will then toggle the selected text through LOWER CASE, CAPITALIZED and UPPER CASE

The above works only with the Google Keyboard App and does not work on any of the third party keyboard apps that I have installed, so, it is not part of the android os.

Beverly Howard
    Would this work with the Samsung keyboard?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Would this work with the Samsung keyboard?

Apparently it didn't. But you're right, as soon as I changed to the Google keyboard it worked! 🆒

Although I really like the Google keyboard I love having the numbers row as the Samsung keyboard does (which they copy from WebOS on the PalmPad) and also love the emojis from it.

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Nice tip, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

>> no number key row <<

There are actually a couple of options for this need.

The first is tap/hold on the top row of the default google keyboard. As soon as the alternate key options appear, simply release and the number will be typed... for example tap/hold the "Y" key and release and the six is typed.

The tap/hold delay is settable in the advanced settings for the google keyboard.

The second is that there is a google keyboard with the number key row, but, it is well hidden... and using <mark/shift> works there as well

To add it, go to the default google keyboard settings/inputlanguages and add English(us)(pc)

I assume that everyone here knows that it is simple and fast to toggle between keyboards...

When using the google keyboards, tap/hold the <spacebar> Third party keyboards such as hackers keyboard often have a switching option, but, if there they don't, when any keyboard is "up" simply pulldown the notification shade and tap "select input method"

Hope that this information is of value.
    Beverly Howard

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for sharing the tips.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by bevhoward View Post
    >> no number key row <<

There are actually a couple of options for this need.

The first is tap/hold on the top row of the default google keyboard. As soon as the alternate key options appear, simply release and the number will be typed... for example tap/hold the "Y" key and release and the six is typed.

The tap/hold delay is settable in the advanced settings for the google keyboard.

The second is that there is a google keyboard with the number key row, but, it is well hidden... and using <mark/shift> works there as well

To add it, go to the default google keyboard settings/inputlanguages and add English(us)(pc)

I assume that everyone here knows that it is simple and fast to toggle between keyboards...

When using the google keyboards, tap/hold the <spacebar> Third party keyboards such as hackers keyboard often have a switching option, but, if there they don't, when any keyboard is "up" simply pulldown the notification shade and tap "select input method"

Hope that this information is of value.
    Beverly Howard

Oh believe me, I know all this!

What I meant was that is easier and hassle free to have the number key row right above the letters.

I've tried the Google pc keyboard before but it's smaller and I just didn't like it!

Anyway, even though I really like the Google keyboard, for now I rather use the Samsung keyboard on my GS4. I have emojis I like, and the numbers are easier to reach.