Using Samsung Galaxy for just a mp3 player without activation

nanllyn

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know where to post this. Hope it is in the correct forum.
I'm looking for a mp3 player for my car. I usually use my Verizon Note 2 to play my music but due to ill parents need to keep phone ready for call. So I'm looking for a mp3 player. Don't want an Ipod. Really like my Samsung media player. If I buy a used phone (possibly from ebay) can it be used as a mp3 player if I don't activate it? And what about phones that are advertised with bad ESN. Since I'm not activating it would it still be usable for a mp3 player? Is there anything I need to know or watch out for?
I would assume it can be used as a mp3 player just not as a phone and I could never update it. Is this correct? Sorry for so many questions but I've always just used the phone that I have activated with Verizon so I don't know what I can and can't do with one that isn't activated.
Thank you for your time in this matter.
Nancy

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know where to post this. Hope it is in the correct forum.
I'm looking for a mp3 player for my car. I usually use my Verizon Note 2 to play my music but due to ill parents need to keep phone ready for call. So I'm looking for a mp3 player. Don't want an Ipod. Really like my Samsung media player. If I buy a used phone (possibly from ebay) can it be used as a mp3 player if I don't activate it? And what about phones that are advertised with bad ESN. Since I'm not activating it would it still be usable for a mp3 player? Is there anything I need to know or watch out for?
I would assume it can be used as a mp3 player just not as a phone and I could never update it. Is this correct? Sorry for so many questions but I've always just used the phone that I have activated with Verizon so I don't know what I can and can't do with one that isn't activated.
Thank you for your time in this matter.
Nancy

Yes, that would work. You can even buy an mp3 player by Samsung. It is called the Galaxy Player, I believe. Looks a lot like an S2.

However, I have a counter question: most music players will pause upon receiving a call. Are you under the impression that the music won't stop when this happens?

nanllyn

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
No, I realize I can use my phone for both. I've been using it as a mp3 player and gps at the same time. But.... when I get a call I have to stretch to reach the phone, disconnect power and phone jack and get it out of the cradle. Very dangerous when driving. My dad is very ill and in nursing home. My mom was given only 6 months and therefore I need to make sure I dont miss any calls from them or from dr, etc. I think it best to get a separate mp3 player to keep in my car.
Thanks for the help and info.

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You could just get a Bluetooth headset instead. Something like a Motorola H720 or a jawbone would work nicely. Besides a lot of states are passing laws requiring the use of a hands free device while driving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nanllyn

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate your help. I just think it will be more convenient to have a player that I can leave in my car and don't have to keep unplugging and taking out of the cradle. The cradle is plastic and not the sturdiest thing. So that is why I thought it would be more convenient if I had a seperate one for the car. Then I do have a bluetooth set for my phone. It's a Jawbone but people say they have trouble hearing me with it. So not sure about that.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
So the question is will the phone work without activation as an mp3 player? I assume it would work just fine but I could not get updates and of course I would not be able to use it as a gps or phone. Which I don't need as I have that on my phone with Verizon.
Thanks for your help.
Nancy

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your help. I just think it will be more convenient to have a player that I can leave in my car and don't have to keep unplugging and taking out of the cradle. The cradle is plastic and not the sturdiest thing. So that is why I thought it would be more convenient if I had a seperate one for the car. Then I do have a bluetooth set for my phone. It's a Jawbone but people say they have trouble hearing me with it. So not sure about that.
Anyway, thanks for your help.
So the question is will the phone work without activation as an mp3 player? I assume it would work just fine but I could not get updates and of course I would not be able to use it as a gps or phone. Which I don't need as I have that on my phone with Verizon.
Thanks for your help.
Nancy

To answer the question, yes. The music can't be streamed via Pandora or Google, but you can load music onto the internal memory.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help.
Nancy

I see that you've already been told that it will work without activation, but you can get updates if you connect through the WiFi. Though I don't think that you'll get updates for the Android OS, but you can definitely get updates for the apps you have on the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nanllyn

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Thank you both. I thought the apps could be updated but wasn't sure about the OS but since the carriers usually push out the updates, I figured I would not be able to update the OS. I have been told Samsung has a mp3 player and I may go that route. I didn't realize they had a stand alone player. Apparently it will do everything but make calls that a phone will do. So whatever is thee most economical and best option for me I will do.
Thank you so very much for your help.