Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to turn on an Android phone with a broken power button?

Hi, my android phone's power button stopped working a few weeks ago. It wasn't a big problem, but a few days ago, the battery died. Now it is turned off and I can't turn it on. When I put it in charge, it just shows the charging screen. The phone is a Winmax W8000 (Winmax is Bangladeshi company. I'm from Bangladesh). It runs on Jellybean (4.1). It wasn't rooted. I tried to get into Download mode, but pressing the volume buttons and plugging in the charger doesn't help. I can't send it to the repair shop due to family issues. I don't have a PC either. What can I do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: How to turn on an android phone with a broken power button ?

Quote Originally Posted by Psystalker View Post
    Hi, my android phone's power button stopped working a few weeks ago. It wasn't a big problem, but a few days ago, the battery died. Now it is turned off and I can't turn it on. When I put it in charge, it just shows the charging screen. The phone is a Winmax W8000 (Winmax is Bangladeshi company. I'm from Bangladesh). It runs on Jellybean (4.1). It wasn't rooted. I tried to get into Download mode, but pressing the volume buttons and plugging in the charger doesn't help. I can't send it to the repair shop due to family issues. I don't have a PC either. What can I do? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    well in this case would prefer you to use a stick in order to power on your phone !!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, I tried pressing the switch with a micro-screwdriver, but didn't work!

Sounds like the button is jammed. Can you try pulling or prying it back up with a tweezers?

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'll try tonight. Thanks for suggetion.

Did you try pulling out the battery? I had this problem with a nexus s. I turned the screen off using an app and woke it using volume buttons (can find it in settings).

There's an app called button saviour but you can only use it if you're rooted...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well, my problem is about turning the system on, not the screen. I had 'Fix Broken Power Button' app to unlock the screen. But now my whole phone is turned off, not just the screen.
    P.S. The button wasn't jammed.

Can you remove the battery from that phone? Test it for being swollen by putting it on a table and flicking a corner of the battery. If it spins easily it's swollen and should be replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

All the switch does is short the contacts as long as you have it pressed. Short the contacts until the phone starts to power up.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

But how ? I tried to disassemble my phone, but after I removed the screws, it was still intact.

Try to use a guitar pick to gently peel the back off. They use adhesive on many phones now.

Edit: or not. When I asked if you could remove the battery I actually meant whether the phone could easily be opened. I wouldn't want you to do anything worse to your phone trying to pry it open.

Global Posts
    5,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

But how ? I tried to disassemble my phone, but after I removed the screws, it was still intact.
    The switch is going to look intact. You have to remove it and solder t wires to the switch contacts. (Although at this point it's just as easy to solder in a new switch.)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Not the switch ! My phone's inner casing looks intact even after I remove all the screws, SIMs, memory card and the battery. I tried to pry the casing off, but didn't work. Sliding it around? Nope, didn't work either.

Global Posts
    5,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Then bring it into a repair shop and have them replace the switch - or you're going to end up with a pile of useless parts.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Default Re: How to turn on an Android phone with a broken power button?

I sent it to the local repair shop and they said it's circuit is damaged beyond repair. But I doubt it...

I sent it to the local repair shop and they said it's circuit is damaged beyond repair. But I doubt it...
    Sorry to hear that. Can you get a new phone?

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Nope. My parents won't allow me to. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
    Thread Closed.

Default My Power Button Is Broken

Hi, I'm New To This . I Would Not Be Up Here , If I Did Not Need You Guys Help .
    My Power Button Is Broken . And I Have To Restart My Phone . I Have A LG Phone. I Know The Steps Of How To Restart It .. Its Just My Power Button .. My Power Button Works On And Off .. But Mostly Off . So My Question Is .. Do ANYBODY Have Any Idea How I Can Restart My Phone If My Power Button Is Broken?

Can You HELP ME PLEASE !

Welcome to Android Central! No need to yell. Did you read through the rest of this thread? Essentially, you'll have to get the power button repaired at a shop or an LG service center. There's no software method to power a phone completely on from an off state if the power button is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by chamiqueadrian View Post
    Can You HELP ME PLEASE !
    Try some silly tricks like plug in to USB/Power and take it out while holding home and volume keys. I have a broken power button and these kindof tricks somehow worked for me a couple of times.
    After taking out from charging sometimes the phone will still show that it is charging. Thats the best time to press n hold power n volume to turn on

One more update guys. My power button suddenly turned good after a couple of blue days. All I was doing is, I was driving on a sunny day and my phone was tanning on the dashboard.

So conclusion is that it may be because of some moisture on the device. Try using the hair dryer on your phone to fix most of such issues.

cheers...

try to connect your phone to your PC with USB cable

Global Posts
    5,620 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by nirdesh View Post
    So conclusion is that it may be because of some moisture on the device. Try using the hair dryer on your phone to fix most of such issues.
    Baking in the sun may have softened some solder enough to remake a bad connection. Using a hair drier with the heat on, on a cellphone, is just asking for problems. There are a lot of parts that can't withstand the temperature a hair drier puts out, even if the phone is off.