Moto G Failed KitKat 4.4.2 Update

moneymoh

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I previously unlocked the bootloader and rooted my Moto G. The kitkat update was released today, when i tried to update the phone powered off and said something like "Updating...". The bar got to about 60 pct and said "Error!", then the phone rebooted, and after a short time a pop-up said, "The Update Failed!".

I tried resetting my phone, unrooting my phone, same problem. I tried using Motorola Device Manager to update, and it said
"There are no updates for your device at this time.
Current Version: 14.81.1.falcon_umts.Telus.en.CA".

SOLVED (This only works if you have an unlocked device):
Step 1: I Downloaded My Stock Firmware here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Step 2: I Downloaded fastboot and mfastboot (you need both) from here, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_nizg6yUZ0NeHpWazBfbXFlUk0/edit

Step 3: I unzipped my stock firmware so all the files were in the ElementalXDesigns-MotoX-Tools folder

Step 4: I installed the drivers for my Moto G, including Motorola device manager, not sure if that was needed though

Step 5: On my Moto G i went to Settings, About Phone, and tapped Build Number 7 times until i became a developer

Step 6: I went into the newly found Developer options and turned USB Debugging on, I connected my USB cable to my PC, and a popup on my phone asked me if i wanted to allow access to my PC, i allowed it

Step 7: I held shift on my keyboard and right-clicked inside the ElementalXDesigns-MotoX-Tools folder and selected [Open Command Window Here]

Step 8: I typed in the command window "adb devices" to check if my everything was functioning properly and my device was connected, the response in the command window was

List of Devices attached
TA883056TR device

Step 9: I typed in the command window "adb reboot bootloader" to boot my phone into fastboot

Step 10: I opened the .xml file (using notepad or internet explorer) that i previously extracted from my firmware package, in my case
"TELUS-CA-SS_FALCON_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LCG-8-1_cid14_CFC_1FF.xml"
It had steps listed under <steps interface="AP"> which i put in to CMD (If you dont see it like this, open it with internet explorer)
Example first step was: <step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="85bb9a8cc1747d87547c4a77aa389667" />
So in the command window i typed "fastboot flash partition gpt.bin"
For every command you have to type fastboot before you type the step operation, partition, and filename, EXCEPT for the system.img ones or one, for those instead of typing fastboot before, you type mfastboot, example:
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img_sparsechunk.0" MD5="e472e9ffb293637081b4c424eb833ebf" />
So i typed in my command window: "mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2"

Step 11: Once i was done inputting all of the commands in order, i rebooted my device, i tried the update like normal, and it worked!

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
You could try setting the date ahead by a few days and see if you get the update again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

moneymoh

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Well i can get the update fine, i just go into Settings, About Phone, System Update, and the download starts. The problem is the update downloads, begins installing, but never finishes, it gives me the "Error!" message, boots up, and after a short time a popup appears saying The Update Failed!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Plus, you may only be having trouble today. Sometimes if you just wait a day or two and try again it works fine. In fact things like that happen to me all the time (not necessarily related to my phones).

moneymoh

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried a factory reset, I really don't think this will resolve itself with time unless Motorola Device Manager was slow to get the update. But even if it does get it, there's no reason to think updating it from my computer would work, it probably uses the same process after uploading the file to the phone.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know very much about rooting and there are a lot of others here that know a great deal more about it so hopefully they will see this. I'm sure they will. But I'm pretty sure you are NOT supposed to update your phone if you have rooted your device. I'm pretty sure it can brick it.

Now, please. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong for I could be. That's just something I feel like I read somewhere. So anybody else's answer will be better.

That's just what I think. :/

Sent from the mother ship

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think rooting is OK but not if you flashed a ROM. I'm not sure either because I never rooted yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz