Accessing University Email

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I have a question about email. I was just wondering how to know if it is possible to access my University's email on my HTC Incredible. I'm trying to keep this separate from my main Gmail account, so don't want to forward there. I'd like to use the "email" program on my Incredible if possible. I've forwarded and messed around with regular net mail programs such as Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo, but I have no experience with Exchange or any type of corporate email type programs.

I am attending a small university in Minnesota, Bemidji State University, and the email client they are using is "M+NetMail". On the M+ website it says

M+NetMail is a high-performance email solution that can accommodate a large number of users and heavy message volume. It is compatible with all standards-based email clients, including Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, Lotus Notes and numerous other integrated or standalone email clients. M+NetMail is part of an end-to-end solution portfolio for email lifecycle management.

And:

Allows users to choose any RFC-compliant POP3 or IMAP4 email client to access their email.

Unlike its proprietary counterparts, M+NetMail is designed around open standards, including LDAP, PKCS, iCal, POP3, IMAP4, SSL, and S/MIME. Because it is standards-based, there is no "native" client. It instead works with any standards-based IMAP4, POP3 or iCal client. The web interface is likewise usable by most web browsers.

So, I was just wondering how I would go about accessing my School mail from my Incredible? I have logged on from the browser, but that ain't any kind of cool. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have tried messing around with the email client on my phone, but to no avail. I tried setting up a POP3 account, IMAP, and ever hit exchange to see what would happen. Not exactly sure if I was entering the right stuff, or if I am even able to do that. Anyway, thanks if anyone is able to offer some assistance/advice.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Confirm all the IMAP settings with your University. Make sure you do a manual setup in the email app and make sure you entered them correctly. If IMAP doesn't work try the POP3, but IMAP is definitely preferable. Taht's really all I can suggest.

I have a had issues with the Android email app before, but your Uni's gotta have some sort of IT dept. that can help you with the setup if you're really stuck.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Definitely check with your university's IT department. I checked the BSU site but didn't find anything that specified the IMAP or POP settings. The M+NetMail guide posted on their site is generic and the settings there won't be relevant.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on my Droid. Granted, I gave up pretty quickly, but I just forward my school email to my gmail.

jsaren

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It might not set up like pop or imap it could set up like exchange which is different but like the other posts say I am sure you IT dept will help you with server settings

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, thanks for the responses. I was subscribed to this thread, but never got notified so didn't think there were any replies! I have previously tried to contact the IT department, but never got a response. I did send another email last night, so maybe I'll get one tomorrow. But I'll probably just end up taking a trip down there to see if they can help. Takeshi, thanks for going to the BSU site, that was nice of you. I have also checked there, but found nothing.

I tried using IMAP(my first choice), POP3, and WebDAV/Exchange. Mostly used all the default settings that were entered after I put in my address and pw, but tried to tweak them a bit too. No luck tho. But like you all suggested, I'll hit up the IT dept. at the university and hopefully get it working. Thanks again for all the replies and sorry for taking so long to get back to you all....not sure why I didn't get an email when a response was left.