Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Possibly Switching from Verizon to T-Mobile

Hi Everyone,

I live in San Diego and the coverage is about the same for both carriers. If we stick with Verizon we'll get either Moto Xs or LG G2s. If we switch to T-Mobile we'll get Nexus 5s. The cost is about the same, though with T-Mobile that includes being in the JUMP program for both phones. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for either carrier? One note, we're still grandfathered in with unlimited data at Verizon and I'm not sure there's a way to keep it, if we switch to 4G. Does anyone know if we could keep it by buying our phones outright?

Thanks

Default Re: Possibly Switching from Verizon to T-Mobile

On Verizon, you can keep unlimited data as long as you buy the phone at full retail price. If you buy it at the subsidized price, you'll need to change to Share Everything.

Can't remember if I responded to you in another thread, but I just switched from VZW to T-Mobile (Nexus 5) in the Silicon Valley, and am very pleased so far. Main reception problems are in underground garages and the like. I actually get better reception now in certain chronic problem areas for Verizon. Customer service at T-Mobile also good so far, but hard to evaluate that fully yet.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. That's helpful to know. Yes, that may have been me on another thread. Since we've decided to switch from iPhones, I thought I should jump into the Android community.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by wodehousefan1 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I live in San Diego and the coverage is about the same for both carriers. If we stick with Verizon we'll get either Moto Xs or LG G2s. If we switch to T-Mobile we'll get Nexus 5s. The cost is about the same, though with T-Mobile that includes being in the JUMP program for both phones. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for either carrier? One note, we're still grandfathered in with unlimited data at Verizon and I'm not sure there's a way to keep it, if we switch to 4G. Does anyone know if we could keep it by buying our phones outright?

Thanks
    Only con I see with T-Mobile so far is that the coverage indoors isn't good. Pros would be no contract and being able to upgrade whenever you want without losing unlimited

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I'm leaning towards T-Mobile because of the contract thing. Also, the last time I was in a Verizon store I didn't like their hard selling. T-Mobile does it too, but the store near us didn't seem to be quite as pushy.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Do you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced off-contract phone that's compatible with Verizon? Just trying to weigh all of our options.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Do you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced off-contract phone that's compatible with Verizon? Just trying to weigh all of our options.
    Moto X is only $50 more than the Nexus 5

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That is true. I'll take a look at it, but I'm not sure our cash flow will let us buy two phones out right.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

That is true. I'll take a look at it, but I'm not sure our cash flow will let us buy two phones out right.
    Then maybe going with T-Mo and getting a payment plan on the phones would be best. That way you don't lose unlimited like you would with VZW if you signed a contract

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards doing, but it's nice to get some additional feedback.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Nexus 5. Battery shorts out. Throw the phone as far as you can, because it's going to melt aluminum. Including the phone.

Phone gets wet. Throw it out. By the time you break the back of the case off and cut a battery wire, it's probably too late to save the phone.

My phones come with removable batteries and external SD cards.

Wow, are there any warning signs to watch out for with the battery shorting out? Thanks. :-/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Wow, are there any warning signs to watch out for with the battery shorting out? Thanks. :-/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    He seems to be trolling
    I wouldn't worry about it

mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    He seems to be trolling
    I wouldn't worry about it

That's not like him though. :-/

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    That's not like him though. :-/

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    I haven't seen his posts anywhere else. I wouldn't know lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Nexus 5. Battery shorts out. Throw the phone as far as you can, because it's going to melt aluminum. Including the phone.

Phone gets wet. Throw it out. By the time you break the back of the case off and cut a battery wire, it's probably too late to save the phone.
    Any source on this? This is the kind of thing that one would expect to be plastered all over tech news sites and blogs if it were occurring with any significant frequency, but the fact that it isn't makes me think that they're isolated incidents only.