1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Syncing for Dummies - that would be me

Hi there,

This is probably going to sound absolutely ridiculous but I need some Syncing for Dummies help, please. This syncing thing seems like it should be so simple but I mange to get myself all discombobulated every darn time and wind up with duplicates, triplicates and more of my pics/files so I'm finally going to put my embarrassment about asking on this in the background and try to learn the right way(s) to do this. If you have to laugh, please do so before you respond - I do have a little pride and I won't be offended if you speak slowwwwly to me ... sigh ...

I have an app called FolderSync that I have connected to my Dropbox which I use to sync my photos, notifications and ringtones from my phone. Since I got the 4.3 upgrade (Galaxy Note 2) I can no longer sync to my Gallery -- that option is gone so I found FolderSync and QuickPic off another post by someone who had the same problem.

• 1. If I use my camera to take all my pics, and I've already synced them once via two-way sync so everything I have is in both places, can I/should I now change that to one-way from phone to Dropbox? I keep having to delete the same pics over and over again and it's really driving me crazy. I'm syncing right now via two-way and by watching my PC Dropbox tooltips it sure looks like I'm going to wind up with more of the same pics when it's done I only took a couple of pics that I wanted to go to Dropbox and it looks like it's doing everything all over again.
    • 2. Is one-way faster than two-way?
    • 3. Why when I delete a pic/file in my phone why does it not delete it in Dropbox when synced (and vice-versa).

Thanks to all who are able to multi-task laughing while responding.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Syncing for Dummies - that would be me

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Hi there,

This is probably going to sound absolutely ridiculous but I need some Syncing for Dummies help, please. This syncing thing seems like it should be so simple but I mange to get myself all discombobulated every darn time and wind up with duplicates, triplicates and more of my pics/files so I'm finally going to put my embarrassment about asking on this in the background and try to learn the right way(s) to do this. If you have to laugh, please do so before you respond - I do have a little pride and I won't be offended if you speak slowwwwly to me ... sigh ...

I have an app called FolderSync that I have connected to my Dropbox which I use to sync my photos, notifications and ringtones from my phone. Since I got the 4.3 upgrade (Galaxy Note 2) I can no longer sync to my Gallery -- that option is gone so I found FolderSync and QuickPic off another post by someone who had the same problem.

• 1. If I use my camera to take all my pics, and I've already synced them once via two-way sync so everything I have is in both places, can I/should I now change that to one-way from phone to Dropbox? I keep having to delete the same pics over and over again and it's really driving me crazy. I'm syncing right now via two-way and by watching my PC Dropbox tooltips it sure looks like I'm going to wind up with more of the same pics when it's done I only took a couple of pics that I wanted to go to Dropbox and it looks like it's doing everything all over again.
    • 2. Is one-way faster than two-way?
    • 3. Why when I delete a pic/file in my phone why does it not delete it in Dropbox when synced (and vice-versa).

Thanks to all who are able to multi-task laughing while responding.
    I think part of your duplicates is that Dropbox has a feature that sends a copy of the photo to Dropbox. Example, you take a photo of your dogs. If that feature I was talking about is active on Dropbox, the Dropbox app will send a copy to Dropbox. You also said you have an app that does that. So, now that is 2 copies. Plus any other app that might have a feature/setting to send to Dropbox.

Dropbox itself needs to be looked at like this: The desktop site is considered your main storage. Your phone is treated as a portal if you will. So you can ask for a copy via your phone, but in order to do anything permanent, you need to do so on your desktop.

Hope that helps.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Hi there,
    Hi.

This is probably going to sound absolutely ridiculous
    You want ridiculous? How long do you boil spaghetti? (Seriously. I have to look on the package every time I make some. But I can strip, clean, dry and reassemble a cellphone in about 3 minutes.) We each have things we know and things we're clueless about.

but I need some Syncing for Dummies help, please.
    I've found (so far) that I'm smarter than a computer program. So if I have a file on my phone that I want in my computer, I copy it there. If there are files on my computer I want in my phone, I put those there. I suppose I'm old-fashioned, but when I came from we didn't have all these pretty graphic programs that did everything for you. We did it all ourselves, and kept notebooks full of the data our computers keep for us now. And you know what? It worked. (Maybe because we didn't know any better.)

So I do it all by hand, back up all my local backups to 2 cloud accounts (the day both Dropbox and Google go down at the same time is one I'll have more to worry about than data integrity) and I don't worry about it. Life's too short to worry about unimportant things like pictures you can never recapture when you're worrying about things like strokes (that was my wife's Christmas present this year), spinal arthritis and other nice presents like that. I'd hate breaking my Note 3, but it I could trade it for an 18 year old body for my wife, tell me where to sign.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I do manual syncing occasionally but I like the security blanket of getting my pics stored ASAP. Never know when my phone will go belly up and take my most recent pics with it.

*** Deb ***
    Via my Note 2 on Tapatalk
    Deb

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Okay. Note 2. Kies. Run it and you;ll see how easy it is to back everything up. Windows or Mac, there are links for both. (First one for Windows for the Note 2, the Mac version does all Samsung's phones.)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Okay. Note 2. Kies. Run it and you;ll see how easy it is to back everything up. Windows or Mac, there are links for both. (First one for Windows for the Note 2, the Mac version does all Samsung's phones.)
    Doesn't this mean I have to have a Samsung account? I have so many accounts now it's ridiculous.
    Deb

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

No, you back up to your computer.

I just checked to make sure, and I was reminded why I do my syncing manually. Human beings don't live long enough to wait for Kies. I've written faster programs that run on my analog watch.

Open the phone on the computer, open a backup folder on the computer and copy everything from the phone that you want backed up to the computer. It's not fast enough to miss if you blink, but with Kies you can get a good night's sleep while it's looking for music on your phone.

Some day, someone will write a Samsung-type program like BitPim and we'll all have a fast way to back things up.
    Thanked by: