Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Backing up Android / transferring files

Hi guys!

I'm new to this community and android, having been using iPhone the last many years. I just bought a LG Nexus 5, because I got tired of Apple, and I have some basic (probably stupid) questions.

With the iPhone, I could easily transfer all my data and backup my phone via iTunes. I've tried searching the web for similar software for android, and I have not really been able to find an iTunes replacement. I noticed that HTC and Samsung have sync managers, but I haven't been able to find one for LG. Also, I would prefer if I could find something that doesn't require cloud storage, as I like to have my backups and files locally on my Mac.

So my questions are basically:
    1: is there an iTunes replacement for android?
    2: does LG have a sync manager?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance !
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Default Re: Backing up android / transferring files

You could use a program called Helium. Its available for free on the Google Play Store. It will allow you to backup your apps and associated data to your device/computer/cloud.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by monsow View Post
    Hi guys!

I'm new to this community and android, having been using iPhone the last many years. I just bought a LG Nexus 5, because I got tired of Apple, and I have some basic (probably stupid) questions.

With the iPhone, I could easily transfer all my data and backup my phone via iTunes. I've tried searching the web for similar software for android, and I have not really been able to find an iTunes replacement. I noticed that HTC and Samsung have sync managers, but I haven't been able to find one for LG. Also, I would prefer if I could find something that doesn't require cloud storage, as I like to have my backups and files locally on my Mac.

So my questions are basically:
    1: is there an iTunes replacement for android?
    2: does LG have a sync manager?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance !
    Welcome to the forums.
    1. Not to my knowledge.
    2. I don't think so.

However, that doesn't mean you can't back up your data. Try this:
    That can back up some things. Let us know if you need to back up anything else.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

And you should back up everything to the cloud.

Worst-case scenario. You're out at the beach, so you left your phone home. Some moron flips a cigarette out of his car window, it catches in the dried grass behind your shrubs and your house burns to the ground. The insurance company will put you up in a hotel, rebuild your house, buy you a new computer and new phone.

Which does you no good because all your data was destroyed.

Other scenario - all your data is backed up to the cloud - you waste 2 hours getting it all back.

Which is better? Of course your house will never burn down. (That's why you waste all that money on fire insurance, right?)

Data not backed up to 2 independent destinations is data you don't really need.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I see your point Rukbat, and I might choose to back up my data to the cloud as well, but I would like it to be on my computer in the first place

Helium seems nice. I can see the paid version will backup to Google Drive, which is the cloud I like the best. I just have a few question about Helium;
    1: does it backup the entire phone?
    2: is it easy to restore from that backup if needed?
    3: can I choose to only backup some files (I don't want to waste space backing up music and pictures to Google Drive, I will back these up manually to my computer)

I can see that Super Backup : SMS & Contacts requires root, which I don't want to do, so that is unfortunately not an option

Thanks for the help guys, really appriciate it!

Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I see your point Rukbat, and I might choose to back up my data to the cloud as well, but I would like it to be on my computer in the first place

Helium seems nice. I can see the paid version will backup to Google Drive, which is the cloud I like the best. I just have a few question about Helium;
    3: can I choose to only backup some files (I don't want to waste space backing up music and pictures to Google Drive, I will back these up manually to my computer)

I can see that Super Backup : SMS & Contacts requires root, which I don't want to do, so that is unfortunately not an option

Thanks for the help guys, really appriciate it!
    Sorry. Been rooted for so long that I almost ignore that part. I have played around with Helium but ha email not had to use the restore process.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

No, neither does anything on iPhones, AFAIK (you can't back up iOS.)

Yes

Yes. You also may not want to back up an app more than once.

I have Helium, Super Backup (no root), SMS Backup+ and App Backup and Restore.

Can't nandroid backup this phone yet, but I will as soon as someone figures it out. That backs up the entire phone.
    monsow likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for the clarification. Do you mind me asking why you have so many different backup apps?