Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Asus Memo Pad FHD10

Hi

I am considering buying an Asus Memo Pad FHD10 however I would like to know whether app store apps will have problems running on it due to it having an Intel Atom CPU rather than ARM?

Thanks

Default Re: Asus Memo Pad FHD10

I don't know much about asus memo pad, but you could get a samsung galaxy tab 3 for almost the same price.
    The tab 3 7.0 is **** though, but the 8.0 kick ***!
    Worth checking it out.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Android apps are written in Java, not in machine language, so they should run fine - IF the ASUS is running Android.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well I read when Intel first started putting its Atom chip in mobile phones that not all apps will work. And I also read that app devs have to compile the app differently. I don't think apps on android are pure Java are they?

As taken from Android* Application Development and Optimization on the Intel® Atom™ Platform | Intel® Developer Zone

"The Android Native Development Kit (NDK) is a companion tool to the Android SDK. The NDK is a powerful tool for developing Android applications because it:

• Builds performance-critical portions of your applications in native code. When using Java code, the Java-based source code needs to be interpreted into machine language using a virtual machine. In contrast, the native code is compiled and optimized into binary directly before execution. With proper use of native code, you can build high performance code in your application, such as hardware video encoding and decoding, graphics processing, and arithmetical operation.
    • Reuses legacy native code. C/C++ codes can be compiled into a dynamic library that can be called by Java code with a JNI mechanism."

So by the looks of it performance critical parts of apps are separated from the Java and compiled into native code