Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy HELP Nexus Won't Unlock...

My Nexus 7's (2012) battery went and I charged it up. When I switched it back on it was stuck in a 'Google' bootloop. I tried the recovery menu options to fix it but nothing worked. I've been reading lots of forums etc.. and have found a few solutions but they require the bootloader to be unlocked. Mine won't unlock.

I have never rooted or tried to before. My Nexus was stock (4.4.2 & a 4.23 bootloader) and have never touched the USB Debugging option. (So don't know if it's on or off)

I don't know what to do with it now. I've tried to 'fastboot oem unlock' and also have tried the Wugs toolkit. The unlock screen does come up on my Nexus, I press the power button for 'yes' and it either goes into a google loop (Using Wugs) or it will say 'unlocking now..' at the top of the bootloader screen indefinitely (Using the command prompt way)

I think that the drivers are okay as it does show the serial numer when I type 'fastboot devices' but it does have to be in 'Apply update from ADB' mode to show the serial number when I type 'adb devices'

Does this sound right? I have tried a couple of different drivers.

Can anyone help? My nexus is a Month out of warranty now so can't get a replacement..

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: HELP Nexus Won't Unlock...

What did you try doing in recovery? Wiping cache or a reset?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What did you try doing in recovery? Wiping cache or a reset?
    Have tried both, Just goes into a 'No Command' loop (Flashing on & off)

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Clare K1 View Post
    Have tried both, Just goes into a 'No Command' loop (Flashing on & off)
    I am trying to recruit help, as I am unsure what to do next.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

This is indeed a weird situation.

• Unless you enabled the developer options under Settings/About Tablet/ Tapping BUILD NUMBER " 7 times ", then you your USB debugging would be disabled. Reason is the USB debugging enable/disable option is located under the developer options which is hidden unless you enable it as I mentioned.

Strange part is you are getting it to show with fastboot devices and even getting as far as to see the unlock screen warning and then it fails.

I wonder if the computer/laptop your using could be causing some issues. I know things still seem to be very buggy for those using Windows 8 with anything unlocking/rooting related. Very hit and miss still. I would if possible try using a Win 7 or older to perform the unlock procedure. Also try a different USB cable if you have one.

Have you tried installing PDAnet on your computer and allowing it to install the drivers? I still leave PDAnet on my computer and it seems to act as a connection aid when going into fastboot/bootloader mode on the Nexus.

Until we can get past the unlock portion your basically at a standstill. Once that is achieved the device may actually recover on its own and reboot or you can flash the Google Factory Images to restore/reset the device.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    This is indeed a weird situation.

Have you tried installing PDAnet on your computer and allowing it to install the drivers? I still leave PDAnet on my computer and it seems to act as a connection aid when going into fastboot/bootloader mode on the Nexus.

Until we can get past the unlock portion your basically at a standstill. Once that is achieved the device may actually recover on its own and reboot or you can flash the Google Factory Images to restore/reset the device.
    Just tried to install PDAnet, It seems the installation process needs to install it on my device too, But it couldn't. It then automatically uninstalls itself from the PC.

I do have ADBDriverInstaller 1.0, That seems to think that the drivers are okay.

Pretty stumped... Do you think that it could be a hardware issue, Maybe because the battery went?

I'm not thinking hardware, I'm leaning more towards software. Something either in the bootloader or elsewhere seems have been corrupted somehow.. Problem is without booting or being able to unlock the bootloader were stuck.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Just tried to install PDAnet, It seems the installation process needs to install it on my device too, But it couldn't. It then automatically uninstalls itself from the PC.

I do have ADBDriverInstaller 1.0, That seems to think that the drivers are okay.

Pretty stumped... Do you think that it could be a hardware issue, Maybe because the battery went?
    Quick question , the first time you installed the drivers for the rootkit did you reboot your PC ...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I'm not thinking hardware, I'm leaning more towards software. Something either in the bootloader or elsewhere seems have been corrupted somehow.. Problem is without booting or being able to unlock the bootloader were stuck.
    Yeah I do feel at a loss..
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    Quick question , the first time you installed the drivers for the rootkit did you reboot your PC ...

I don't think that I did.

Lets not give up hope yet Clare

After all its a Nexus and I've seen them come back from the grave many times before.
    Paul

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Lets not give up hope yet Clare

After all its a Nexus and I've seen them come back from the grave many times before.
    lol Zombie Nexus!! Anyone got a potion to bring mine back?! XD

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Just thought of something else. Try using different cables and USB ports. That might help too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

I don't think that I did.
    What I would do is use a different pc /laptop and install the android SDK and then the nexus root toolkit along with the drivers and see if you can start again... And when your on the screen of the nexus toolkit where it says root make sure you check the box that says custom recovery ... Good luck!!