will unlocking my LG G 2 give it better service

Justin Young2

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an LG g2 through Verizon.I'm using AT&T currently on this phone. Its already accepted my sim card and I'm able to call and text and I put in an APNthat I'm not really sure is correct but is giving me data. I live out in country and I used to get to bars on my HTC One but this phone gets maybe one bar sometimes and then it gets nothing. What do I need to do in order to get better service? Will unlocking it help, or putting in a different APN?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It may help give you more options to have the phone unlocked from Verizon. However using it out of country, especially a device designed for the Verizon " CDMA carrier " based network puts your back against the wall from the start. You also maybe limited to the specific radio frequencies the device is chipped to except. That could be the reasoning behind your poor reception. The HTC One you mentioned, could have been programmed/chipped with different radio frequencies giving you more/better options in terms of reception/service out of country.

Justin Young2

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So you think ill have a small chace of getting better service? I mean, i live in the states, Kentucky to be more exact, (so thats my rural area go figure lol) an with the HTC that was ATT branded, got slightly better signal. I mean all im needing is to just not lose service. So should i just go through with it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the phone is a Verizon phone and it's using an AT&T SIM, it's already unlocked. (Locking refers to not being able to use a SIM from another carrier). If you're staying with the carrier the phone's currently on, unlocking wouldn't accomplish anything.

The only way unlocking a phone will give you better service is if you unlock it so you can use a different carrier - one that gives you a better signal.