My dad is currently in the market for a smart phone, he said he was looking to spend 60 dollars or so, I suggested a minimum of 100, thinking that he might avoid some of the oldest of the old. He currently has a contract with Verizon with 500mb data and unlimited texting. He is not looking to buy a subsidized phone, so will likely be looking for something used or refurb on amazon or ebay. I suggested an android phone over some keyboard and minimal internet setup. Does anyone have any advice as to what brand/source I should be looking for? Thinking ~100 with basic capability to browse the internet, text, and use e-mail. Thanks!
    01-19-2014 03:15 PM
    I would push as you said for the $100 range. It gives him much better options. As for a recommendation I'll leave that up to the Verizon regulars here
    01-19-2014 03:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Keep an eye on daily deal sites like 1sale.com, DailySteals.com, IceMonkey.com, and Woot.com. These sites periodically feature some halfway decent phones from 1-2 yrs ago (like the Droid Razr, for example) that are refurbished or reconditioned, and go for around $60-80, with free shipping. Nothing currently available, though--I checked.
    01-19-2014 03:33 PM
    Glyde has some decent options. Better phones in the $70-105 range.

Buy a Used Verizon Phone | Glyde
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-19-2014 03:49 PM
    Not a bad selection there. From personal experience, the Droid Incredible is a decent inexpensive choice, as long as it's a good unit--when I had one, I had to get a replacement due to a random reboots and a wonky touchscreen, but the replacement was perfect. You'd be stuck on Gingerbread (2.3), but if your father just needs a basic device, it might be worthwhile.
    01-19-2014 03:58 PM
    I'm liking the look of the droid razr maxx, apparently the only difference between that and the razr are thickness due to a larger battery being in the maxx. thanks for the help, at least glyde can give you kind of a side by side experience, seems a little more palatable than ebay. The galaxy nexus also looks decent.
    01-19-2014 04:02 PM
    I would stay away from the Galaxy Nexus. Yes its a Nexus but that particular device was plaqued with radio reception issues and also very poor battery life.

Sent from my awesome HTC One
    01-19-2014 05:03 PM