Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I recover encrypted photos from microSD on LG Spectrum VS920?

I recently had a problem with my LG Spectrum that required a hard reset to restart the OS. I wasn't aware the photos were being encrypted. When the reset was done the phone required I enter a passcode. I entered every known passcode I have and still could not get the phone to recognize the photos on the microSD card. Is there a work around for this process? I have over a years worth of pictures on the microSD card. Any help to get to these photos would be appreciated. The LG Spectrum model is a VS920.

Default Re: How do I recover encrypted photos from microSD on LG Spectrum VS920?

Kernel Recovery for Digital Media application is a helpful digital photo recovery tool that recover all your deleted photos from SD card. It is an advance and user-friendly apps and can easily restore all encrypted photos from microSD. Visit application detail http://www.digitalphoto.freedatarecoverysoftware.org/

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: How do I recover encrypted photos from microSD on LG Spectrum VS920?

Deleted photos, yes. Encrypted photos, no. If PhotoRec or ZAR can't recover them, they're gone. (ZAR even bypasses the CPU in the SD card, so it doesn't matter if the card is accessible or not.) and they can only recover data that looks like photos. "Data" that looks like random data (which is what an encrypted file looks like) isn't "recoverable" with file recovery techniques.

The encryption algorithm used in Android, due to the limited processing power, isn't unbreakable. But it's going to take more than an i7 with 16GB of RAM to do it.

This is the reason that ALL important files should be backed up to at least 2 independent devices. If you don't have the time to do the backup, the files weren't that important.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the info and the lesson on backing up data. However, your response left me some hope that the information is recoverable but I'm not sure if you offered a solution. If you did, how do I find it? Can this be done on my desktop? Does LG Android have a solution? I can't imagine that I'm the only person this has happened to. The files are not erased from my microSD card. They show up but don't display.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I used the trial version of this software. It read the files but the encrypted photos showed up as blank.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by pappatim View Post
    I used the trial version of this software. It read the files but the encrypted photos showed up as blank.
    That's because the software saw a pattern that looked like a file, but it wasn't encoded as any known kind of file (like jpg or zip) that the program "knows" (and it knows over 440 file types). So it gives you the raw data that was in the "package" that looked like it may be a file.

It's possible that LG has a way of reversing the encryption without the password (possible - there are many encryption methods that can't be "broken" - either you know the decryption word or you don't), but I doubt they'd make it public. (That would defeat the whole encryption thing). But it can't hurt to write them and ask if they could decrypt your pictures for you.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you. I sent a support request to LG for help with this. Hopefully they will help me with a solution.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

It'll also tell you what kind of company LG is, so please keep us advised. I like dealing with companies that go above and beyond to help customers. It's why I pay a little more for SanDisk or Seagate. If they're loyal to me, I'm going to be loyal to them. If they can't be bothered answering my request for assistance, I can't be bothered giving them my money. I guess I must be old fashioned.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So far I have had multiple contacts with LG support and frankly what it is telling me is to take LG off the list of providers in the future. I have gotten simple suggestions like entering 0000 and 1111 as the code and recently a suggestion to enter the last 4 digits of the phone number. None of these suggestions worked. They suggested I contact Verizon since that is where the service comes from; however, when I spoke with Verizon they said I should contact LG. This is the classic mega-corporation run around from both companies. Neither of them are giving me much hope.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by pappatim View Post
    So far I have had multiple contacts with LG support and frankly what it is telling me is to take LG off the list of providers in the future. I have gotten simple suggestions like entering 0000 and 1111 as the code
    That's the unlock code for an old feature phone. Also the last 4 digits of your phone number. It depends on whether the dealer locks the screen and which number he prefers to lock it with. It has absolutely nothing to do with encrypting the SD card.

I wouldn't write LG off, though - they answered you. Some companies ignore requests they can't give definite answers to. LG just don't pass help requests up to the department that may have the answer. (Which I suspect, in your case, would be "there's no way we can guess at what the encryption code you used was, and there's no "back door" in the encryption, so we can't help you. Sorry." That I would have considered an "above and beyond" response, even if it didn't help you. I accept "we don't know of any way of doing it." There are a lot of things I don't know how to do, even with things I designed. Their response was about normal for a normal company, not one I'd refuse to do business with. (I still won't buy a phone with no SD card and a non-replaceable battery, but that's a different issue.)