Multiple widgets on the lockscreen

molson622

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I cannot figure out how to get more than one widget on a single lock screen. I don't want to have to swipe through my lock screens one at a time. Can someone explain to me how this works?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On stock Android, it's only one widget per lockscreen. On other devices with modified Android (like Samsung devices), you can have multiple widgets. What device do you have?

molson622

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Doh! I have the Nexus 5. I am probably returning it though as it gets terrible cell reception when compared to other phones (iPhone, HTC One) that my friends, who are also on T-Mobile, have.

Oh well.. but thank you very much for the answer!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the terrible cell reception based on bars only, or on your experience with trying to make and receive calls? I've noticed that my N5 often seems to underreport reception--I'll have 0-1 bars and have no problems with calls.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You can also install a third party lock screen replacement like WidgetLocker to have much more control over your lock screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

molson622

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Is the terrible cell reception based on bars only, or on your experience with trying to make and receive calls? I've noticed that my N5 often seems to underreport reception--I'll have 0-1 bars and have no problems with calls.

I would say a little of column A, a little of column B. The bars are always very low.. and at my house it's rare that there are bars at all. When that happens and I can actually make a call it seems fine. However there has been several times where it tells me "No Service" when the GF standing next to me has 2 bars. I have yet to have a static issue and so far no dropped calls (once I can make them).

- - - Updated - - -

You can also install a third party lock screen replacement like WidgetLocker to have much more control over your lock screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Awesome. Thank you. Didn't know about that. I'm hoping this app also allows me to add the flashlight to the lockscreen, too.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. Thank you. Didn't know about that. I'm hoping this app also allows me to add the flashlight to the lockscreen, too.
You can. It makes the lock screen act like another home screen, but gives you slider options that let you open into whatever app you want.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
there has been several times where it tells me "No Service" when the GF standing next to me has 2 bars
But can she make calls. Motorola (pre-Google) used to be great with that. Their cheaper phones reported about 2 bars if you were within a galaxy or so of a cell tower, but you needed 5 out of 5 bars to make a call.

There are no standards. What your N5 may show as 1 bar mine may show as 3 bars, but you may be getting better reception.

I have yet to have a static issue
You won't - this is digital. Either the packet is received and you hear what's in it, or it's not received (not completely - if one bit is missed, it's "not received") and you hear silence. On CDMA there's an in-between situation, where you're on the ragged edge of reception, and the signal sounds as if it's under water, but on GSM it's either there or not. (It's very seldom that a GSM signal "goes digital".)

But it does sound as if 1) Your carrier isn't giving you much signal where you are and 2) the N5 isn't great on weak signals. That's why I always tell people to pick the carrier first. I don't care how cheap the plan is, how many minutes you get or how cheap that great new phone is - if there's no signal, your phone is a paper weight. My $400 Sprint phone didn't pick up a whisper in my niece's house. Her son's $10 Tracfone (on AT&T) works great, even in the basement. So he had (until I switched to AT&T) the better phone. His worked, mine didn't, and to me, "worked" is better than "didn't work".