Question about Helium backup app

monsow

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys!

I'm new to android, and have a question regarding my backup app, Helium.

I basically know how to use the app, and how to backup/restore my phone.

However, after watching this video: How to backup your Android phone with Carbon App Sync and Backup - YouTube (Android Authority)
I've got one question about Helium. In the video, he says: "also, if your phone is non-rooted, you'll need to run Carbon (Helium) desktop installer everytime you reboot your device" (2:41 - 2:48).

I don't exactly know what this means. If I turn off my phone for some reason, maybe if I am at an exam, will I then really have to plug my phone into my computer, and then run the desktop app before my phone can work again?

I would really like some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys!

I'm new to android, and have a question regarding my backup app, Helium.

I basically know how to use the app, and how to backup/restore my phone.

However, after watching this video: How to backup your Android phone with Carbon App Sync and Backup - YouTube (Android Authority)
I've got one question about Helium. In the video, he says: "also, if your phone is non-rooted, you'll need to run Carbon (Helium) desktop installer everytime you reboot your device" (2:41 - 2:48).

I don't exactly know what this means. If I turn off my phone for some reason, maybe if I am at an exam, will I then really have to plug my phone into my computer, and then run the desktop app before my phone can work again?

I would really like some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, that's correct. if you are not rooted then you have to do that every time you reboot the phone

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's exactly as phrased. If you have a rooted phone you can use the app any time. If you're not rooted, each time you run Helium from a fresh reboot you need to connect the phone to the computer and run the PC Helium program: clockworkmod.com/carbon

sent via tapatalk

monsow

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh I see! So it is each time i run HELIUM I have to use the desktop app (and not each time I reboot the device)? That shouldn't be a problem then, since I like to backup to my PC anyhow :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Its not each time you run. Its very time you reboot the device.
It's each time you reboot the device AND want to run Helium. If you back up once a week you only have to connect the phone to the computer once a week. You can turn it off and on all week without connecting it to the computer - as long as you don't want to run Helium. The OP was correct in post 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18