Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    I have a Samsung S3 with VirginMobile. I know in the past several years ago, you have to root the phone in order to make your phone into a WiFi Hotspot.

    I just wondering if this is still true? Can I make my phone into a WiFi Hotspot without rooting the phone? If so, how can I do it?

    The reason I ask, I am planning to get an Android tablet. I am going to end up getting a off brand Android tablet.

    Thanks for any help!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
    I have a Samsung S3 with VirginMobile. I know in the past several years ago, you have to root the phone in order to make your phone into a WiFi Hotspot.

    I just wondering if this is still true? Can I make my phone into a WiFi Hotspot without rooting the phone? If so, how can I do it?

    The reason I ask, I am planning to get an Android tablet. I am going to end up getting a off brand Android tablet.

    Thanks for any help!
    well, in android you can do this without rooting there is an option called as tethering that allows you to turn your device into a wifi hotspot !!
    Kelly Burby
    Senior Web Analyst
    website: http://www.rapidsofttechnologies.com
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    well, in android you can do this without rooting there is an option called as tethering that allows you to turn your device into a wifi hotspot !!
    I checked but doesn't have that option.
  4. #4  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    There are plenty of non-root tethering apps, the problem is VM. It appears that, like Verizon, they're blocking tethering unless you pay for a tethering account. Since the blocking is done at the office, there's nothing you can do at the phone to get around it. Enjoy it while you have it - it may not last long.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    There are plenty of non-root tethering apps, the problem is VM. It appears that, like Verizon, they're blocking tethering unless you pay for a tethering account. Since the blocking is done at the office, there's nothing you can do at the phone to get around it. Enjoy it while you have it - it may not last long.
    I don't have Verizon. I have VirginMobile.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
    I checked but doesn't have that option.
    yes it has goto the settings> more settings>tethering and portable hotspot check it out !!! you will find it there if you are running Jellybean or KitKat OS .
    Kelly Burby
    Senior Web Analyst
    website: http://www.rapidsofttechnologies.com
  7. #7  
    sk8trix's Avatar

    Posts
    404 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
    I have a Samsung S3 with VirginMobile. I know in the past several years ago, you have to root the phone in order to make your phone into a WiFi Hotspot.

    I just wondering if this is still true? Can I make my phone into a WiFi Hotspot without rooting the phone? If so, how can I do it?

    The reason I ask, I am planning to get an Android tablet. I am going to end up getting a off brand Android tablet.

    Thanks for any help!

    Here dude this is short video I made for you hope it helps turn on the hotspot.

    Galaxy S3 Quantum Rom based off CM11
    Galaxy S4 MDOB T.W ROM KToonez Kernel
    Nexus 7 2013 Carbon ROM Faux123 OC Kernel
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Burby View Post
    yes it has goto the settings> more settings>tethering and portable hotspot check it out !!! you will find it there if you are running Jellybean or KitKat OS .
    Nope. Not there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8trix View Post
    Here dude this is short video I made for you hope it helps turn on the hotspot.

    thanks but I don't have that option.
  9. #9  
    sk8trix's Avatar

    Posts
    404 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    tryo to post a screen shot of your settings man maybe its hidden elsewhere
    Galaxy S3 Quantum Rom based off CM11
    Galaxy S4 MDOB T.W ROM KToonez Kernel
    Nexus 7 2013 Carbon ROM Faux123 OC Kernel
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86
  10. #10  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
    I don't have Verizon. I have VirginMobile.
    I said that it appears that, like Verizon, VM is also starting to block free tethering. Once we figure out how to get something for free, the corporations are going to figure out how they're going to charge you for it.

    When I was a kid, one of the jokes was that if they could figure a way they'd charge for air. It's no longer joke - try to fill your tires for free. I wouldn't be totally amazed if, in a few years, every time you looked at the time on your phone, it cost you something.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Turning my phone into a WiFi Hotspot

    Quote Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
    Nope. Not there.

    - - - Updated - - -



    thanks but I don't have that option.
    So, can you tell us which version of Android you are using ! It may be hidden somewhere else....
    Kelly Burby
    Senior Web Analyst
    website: http://www.rapidsofttechnologies.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 06:37 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM
  3. Help for syncing my Note 3
    By sonic1519 in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 08:20 PM
  4. I need help i deleted everything off my internal memory!!!!
    By bigsmokeldn OT in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
  5. Flashed A Nightly and My Phone Died of Heat!
    By Luis Jimenez5 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

B