Choosing a small 4.x starter phone

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking around for a good starter phone for my 12-yr-old daughter. She's got small pockets & doesn't often carry a purse yet, and she already has a Nexus 7, so I think the phone screen ought to be 4" or smaller. I'd also like it to run Android 4.x just to keep it half-way modern regarding app support. She's a good photographer, so it would be nice if it had an average-or-better camera. She doesn't need much horsepower, and I'm kind of planning on buying used if possible. It'll be used on Ting, which uses Sprint phones on the Sprint network.

Any recommendations? My son just upgraded out of a Samsung Transform Ultra (M930), which we haven't sold yet. It's the right size (3.5") and price, but it runs Android 2.3.6 and the camera isn't very good. It had been running pretty slow, but I think it would do much better after a factory reset cleared off all his crap.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking around for a good starter phone for my 12-yr-old daughter. She's got small pockets & doesn't often carry a purse yet, and she already has a Nexus 7, so I think the phone screen ought to be 4" or smaller. I'd also like it to run Android 4.x just to keep it half-way modern regarding app support. She's a good photographer, so it would be nice if it had an average-or-better camera. She doesn't need much horsepower, and I'm kind of planning on buying used if possible. It'll be used on Ting, which uses Sprint phones on the Sprint network.

Any recommendations? My son just upgraded out of a Samsung Transform Ultra (M930), which we haven't sold yet. It's the right size (3.5") and price, but it runs Android 2.3.6 and the camera isn't very good. It had been running pretty slow, but I think it would do much better after a factory reset cleared off all his crap.

Moto G??? perhaps

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Moto G??? perhaps

I looked at the Moto G, but the 4.5" screen is a little larger than I was hoping for, and the $200 price tag is a little higher than I want to spend for a first-time phone--at least until we figure out how well she's going to take care of it. It looks like a great phone for an adult or a responsible teen, though.

ObiWanYJ

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What does anybody think of the Nexus S? It gets OTA updates as far as 4.1.2, has a 4" screen, and sells on eBay for $50-100.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy