Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Choosing a small 4.x starter phone

I'm looking around for a good starter phone for my 12-yr-old daughter. She's got small pockets & doesn't often carry a purse yet, and she already has a Nexus 7, so I think the phone screen ought to be 4" or smaller. I'd also like it to run Android 4.x just to keep it half-way modern regarding app support. She's a good photographer, so it would be nice if it had an average-or-better camera. She doesn't need much horsepower, and I'm kind of planning on buying used if possible. It'll be used on Ting, which uses Sprint phones on the Sprint network.

Any recommendations? My son just upgraded out of a Samsung Transform Ultra (M930), which we haven't sold yet. It's the right size (3.5") and price, but it runs Android 2.3.6 and the camera isn't very good. It had been running pretty slow, but I think it would do much better after a factory reset cleared off all his crap.

Default Re: Choosing a small 4.x starter phone

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWanYJ View Post
    I'm looking around for a good starter phone for my 12-yr-old daughter. She's got small pockets & doesn't often carry a purse yet, and she already has a Nexus 7, so I think the phone screen ought to be 4" or smaller. I'd also like it to run Android 4.x just to keep it half-way modern regarding app support. She's a good photographer, so it would be nice if it had an average-or-better camera. She doesn't need much horsepower, and I'm kind of planning on buying used if possible. It'll be used on Ting, which uses Sprint phones on the Sprint network.

Any recommendations? My son just upgraded out of a Samsung Transform Ultra (M930), which we haven't sold yet. It's the right size (3.5") and price, but it runs Android 2.3.6 and the camera isn't very good. It had been running pretty slow, but I think it would do much better after a factory reset cleared off all his crap.
    Moto G??? perhaps
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Moto G??? perhaps
    I looked at the Moto G, but the 4.5" screen is a little larger than I was hoping for, and the $200 price tag is a little higher than I want to spend for a first-time phone--at least until we figure out how well she's going to take care of it. It looks like a great phone for an adult or a responsible teen, though.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

What does anybody think of the Nexus S? It gets OTA updates as far as 4.1.2, has a 4" screen, and sells on eBay for $50-100.