Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gmail -> Cannot safely Connect to server

Galaxy Note 8.0, Suddenly my gmail would no longer sync. So, I browsed the internet for a couple of days looking for a solution to getting reconnected to gmail. I deleted the gmail account from my tablet, uninstalled all updates from the gmail app under applicaton manager. Tried to setup the account again and still got this message "Cannot safely Connect to server". It seems thousands have had this issue and for some reason no one has been able to provide a correct solution. I'm thinking to go back to APPLE! WTF. Can it be that difficult to fix? I don't want a work around by changing ports, accepting bad certificates, etc...I don't want to ROOT my device, and I don't want to do a factory restore! ANYONE out there know how to fix this?

THANKS!

Global Posts
    10,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Gmail -> Cannot safely Connect to server

Are you having problems with other services connecting to the Internet? You can try clearing cache and trying again if not, there could be an issue with the router. You might want to reboot it and see if that fixes it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks srkmagnus, no absolutely no problems with the internet. I have internet and everyone else's email is working fine. Mine gmail's working fine on my other andoird phone sitting right next to me. Just this tablet. I've already tried all the basic stuff like clearing cache and restarting. I'm thinking it's SSL related, but like I said I don't want to go changing ports etc...there should be a very simple fix here, but not obvious to the average users.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Really guys, no one can answer this? Is android that complex?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Norman1 View Post
    I mean even some way to troubleshoot this?..

Global Posts
    10,617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Norman1 View Post

I mean even some way to troubleshoot this?..
    The way to troubleshoot it is to see what's happening with various tests. To give you one test to try and report back the results, so someone can come up with another test the next day, etc., turns a 1 hour troubleshooting session into a few weeks (or months) of dedicated work.

Some of these things are "try doing ... oops, no that won't work, so let's see if ... nope" That took about 5 seconds. Or about 5 days if we do it online.

Is Android that complex? No, but troubleshooting computer problems can be. We had a database - back around 1995 - that was causing all sorts of strange problems. None of the problems had anything to do with what seemed to be caus8ing them. It took one dedicated customer a few months to find out that if an item was entered into one field, spelled a certain way, and only that way, the database basically "lost its mind". But how many people use "Avocado" as a color? And that was the only thing that was causing the problem. (And one product came in that color.) Fixing the problem? Maybe 45 minutes. Finding out what to fix? About 6 months. Yes, troubleshooting can be that complex.

BTW, it seems to me as if it's wither an incorrect setup of your IMAP server values, or a certificate problem. Easy to check in 10 minutes or so. Or about 2 weeks here online.
    Super Moderator

Global Posts
    11,579 Global Posts

Try changing your password? Sounds like an expired ssl cert to me.

Sent from what ever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk
    Passport PIN: 2BDD6F5F | Note 3 PIN: 7F4337AD