How to transfer windows contacts to Android Nexus 5

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys
Need some help please.
Replaced my iPhone 5 yesterday with the Nexus 5 as i decided to discover Android and see if it is for me...
I synched my iPhone to Windows contacts, so i can see all my contacts on my PC.
I don't have my iPhone as it was sold yesterday, so how can i move the contacts from Windows to my Nexus 5?

Would really appreciate some help.

bradleyem

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Log into gmail on a computer and import the contacts into gmail. Then they will sync with your phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with above. I assume you mean the Windows Address Book--you probably need to export the contacts first as a .CSV file, then import that file into your Google Contacts.

Posted via Android Central App

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank you
I just did it, and it imported to my contacts on my gmail.
2 questions:

1- How can i import all of my contacts at once, i can only do it one by one at the moment
I tried to select all contacts but it wouldn't do it

2- how do i move the contacts from gmail contacts to my Nexus 5, is it done automatically?

Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to export all of your Windows contacts as one large file, and then import the whole thing into Google. If the .CSV file doesn't work, try exporting as a .VCF file.

Once the contacts are in Gmail, they should sync automatically, assuming you haven't turned off your auto-sync or unchecked the Contacts sync in the Settings/Accounts-Google menu.

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys
But as .VCF, it will only let me transfer one by one, i have about 500 contacts so it will a long process, but still an ok solution.
And as .CSV it will transfer all of them as one big file, but no numbers are shown, only the names.
Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've encountered this issue before--Gmail sometimes does funky things when trying to import CSV files. I thought it was possible to import multiple contacts as a VCF file. Will have to look into this ...

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Try exporting all of your contacts as individual VCF files, then merging them into one VCF by using the steps in this article: How to import multiple vCards (.vcf files) into Gmail or Outlook

I will look into this tomorrow
Thank you very much for your help

Off topic: my wife emailed me some photos today from her iPhone, I opened the email on my Nexus 5 but the photos were not displayed in the email.
Is there a trick to this ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're using the Gmail app, tap the Menu button while in Gmail, then Settings, then your Google account. Scroll all the way down, select "Images," and select "Always Show."

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you're using the Gmail app, tap the Menu button while in Gmail, then Settings, then your Google account. Scroll all the way down, select "Images," and select "Always Show."

The email was sent to my yahoo account, which I opened using the email app ( after setting up my yahoo account ).
I just followed your explanation but it's not the same in gmail and the email app, I can't find "always show pictures" in the settings.

Thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I never use the stock Email app, since I only use Gmail, and then Yahoo for junk. I can import Yahoo mail into my Gmail account, so I can do everything using the Gmail app.

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I never use the stock Email app, since I only use Gmail, and then Yahoo for junk. I can import Yahoo mail into my Gmail account, so I can do everything using the Gmail app.

I have downloaded the Yahoo app, and photos can be seen in the email.
Thanks for all your help.
Will let you know tomorrow how I get on with Contacts

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And assuming that the gmail account he put the contacts in is the same one he put into the phone. Some of have more than 1 gmail account. (Was I supposed to let that slip?)