1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does anybody know how to convert a 30-pin iPod based iHome to mini usb?

This one is for someone who knows about technology because I am not just talking about buying a cable with a female 30-pin and male mini usb I mean actually taking out the 30-pin piece of the iHome and replacing it with a mini USB. Just wanting to see if anyone has ever tried or has succeeded or would even know how to go about such a thing. I just don't like any of the mini usb based looking docks. Specifically I have the iHome iP9 but I imagine if it has been done with others it could be done to mine as well. I am even willing to pay if anybody knows a place that could do it. And I have had this product for a while so, if it wasn't already obvious, I am not too worried about warranty voiding. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.
    Last edited by Ross U; 01-26-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts

Default Re: Does anybody know how to convert a 30-pin iPod based iHome to mini usb?

If you weren't too worried about charging whatever you were looking to connect through mini USB then perhaps you might want a bluetooth receiver that slots into that dock instead, giving wireless connectivity, something like this.

Default Re: Does anybody know how to convert a 30-pin iPod based iHome to mini usb?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross U View Post
    This one is for someone who knows about technology because I am not just talking about buying a cable with a female 30-pin and male mini usb I mean actually taking out the 30-pin piece of the iHome and replacing it with a mini USB. Just wanting to see if anyone has ever tried or has succeeded or would even know how to go about such a thing. I just don't like any of the mini usb based looking docks. Specifically I have the iHome iP9 but I imagine if it has been done with others it could be done to mine as well. I am even willing to pay if anybody knows a place that could do it. And I have had this product for a while so, if it wasn't already obvious, I am not too worried about warranty voiding. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.
    Step one: get a hammer ...
    editor of the best indie ereader and tablet blog, The Digital Reader

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

All you're going to get from that dock is a connector, a cable and a place to put the phone. It's not going to run your audio and it's not going to turn your Android phone on when the alarm time is reached.

If you still want to do it, it's just sheet metal work. Remove the 30 pin connector, make a bracket that will hold a microUSB connector in the right position, mount it, connect a USB cable to the connector and you're done,

If you're asking id anyone's done it to make it work the way it works with an iPhone, no - an Android phone is missing a few connections that the dock needs.