1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lost my android tablet- anything else I should do?

So I had a cheap Android tablet (Hisense Sero 7 Pro) for about 7 months, until I finally left it in the seat back pocket of the plane in late December. I knew it was a bad idea to put it in there, but I was too lazy to pull out my bag and thought I would want it later. I found United's lost and found webpage, and put in a request but haven't heard anything back. It's pattern-locked (so a thief would have to go through a lot of trouble to get any use out of it) and it's not worth much so I'd figure most people wouldn't be inclined to steal it if they found it. It has my name and email address on the lock screen so my guess is that it's still in that seat-back pocket (or that whoever found it didn't charge it because it was likely dead by that point).

I've been trying to track it via Android Device Manager, but according to the DM website it hasn't been used since I last used it. This isn't surprising, since it's wifi-only.

Anyway, I've concluded I'll never see it again. It was cheap so I'm not broken up over it -- I'll just get another cheap tablet.

The thing I'm concerned about is my data. In particular, my Gmail account. If you had access to my GMail account, you could rob me blind. For example, I get emails from my bank so you could figure out what bank I used, and my email address login, and have my password reset sent to my email account.

Q1: Is there anything else I should do, just to be safe? Here's what I've done so far:
    - Did the "remote wipe" option from Android Device Manager
    - Changed my google/gmail password (so it won't auto sign-in) in case the wipe doesn't work for whatever reason
    - As noted above, it was protected with a lock-screen pattern

Q2: Do you think I'm at much risk from someone getting personal data off of it? I think they have free access to whatever's on my SD card, but I believe I only have pictures on there. I had Gmail set up to sync the max amount of emails (999 days?), so that data is sitting there on the tablet. Anyone know if there's a way for a hacker to get at that data without knowing my lockscreen pattern?

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Lost my android tablet- anything else I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by jcandelora View Post
    So I had a cheap Android tablet (Hisense Sero 7 Pro) for about 7 months, until I finally left it in the seat back pocket of the plane in late December. I knew it was a bad idea to put it in there, but I was too lazy to pull out my bag and thought I would want it later. I found United's lost and found webpage, and put in a request but haven't heard anything back. It's pattern-locked (so a thief would have to go through a lot of trouble to get any use out of it) and it's not worth much so I'd figure most people wouldn't be inclined to steal it if they found it. It has my name and email address on the lock screen so my guess is that it's still in that seat-back pocket (or that whoever found it didn't charge it because it was likely dead by that point).

I've been trying to track it via Android Device Manager, but according to the DM website it hasn't been used since I last used it. This isn't surprising, since it's wifi-only.

Anyway, I've concluded I'll never see it again. It was cheap so I'm not broken up over it -- I'll just get another cheap tablet.

The thing I'm concerned about is my data. In particular, my Gmail account. If you had access to my GMail account, you could rob me blind. For example, I get emails from my bank so you could figure out what bank I used, and my email address login, and have my password reset sent to my email account.

Q1: Is there anything else I should do, just to be safe? Here's what I've done so far:
    - Changed my google/gmail password (so it won't auto sign-in) in case the wipe doesn't work for whatever reason

Q2: Do you think I'm at much risk from someone getting personal data off of it? I think they have free access to whatever's on my SD card, but I believe I only have pictures on there. I had Gmail set up to sync the max amount of emails (999 days?), so that data is sitting there on the tablet. Anyone know if there's a way for a hacker to get at that data without knowing my lockscreen pattern?
    I don't think there is much more you can do. You probably did the best thing by changing the password.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

There are apps you can install that will allow you to track lock and wipe your device. Kaspersky is 1 of them but there are others. I know that doesn't help you with this lost tablet. But you might want to consider it for the next one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    There are apps you can install that will allow you to track lock and wipe your device. Kaspersky is 1 of them but there are others. I know that doesn't help you with this lost tablet. But you might want to consider it for the next one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    I second this. There's a lot of interesting apps out there to help you when you lose a device like this.

You should be fine though. If whomever finds the device, I doubt they'll crack the password to even start using it. Hopefully it's still sitting in the seat and someone will find it and hopefully return it.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by jcandelora View Post
    It's pattern-locked (so a thief would have to go through a lot of trouble to get any use out of it)
    About 2 minutes of trouble if his laptop hadn't booted up yet.

and it's not worth much so I'd figure most people wouldn't be inclined to steal it if they found it.
    I had a windshield broken so someone could steal a pack of cigarettes that was about 3/4 gone.

Which did nothing if you couldn't find the location at that time.

And, as noted above, that takes about 30 seconds of slow typing to defeat.

Q2: Do you think I'm at much risk from someone getting personal data off of it? I think they have free access to whatever's on my SD card,
    Or anywhere else on the tab.

Anyone know if there's a way for a hacker to get at that data without knowing my lockscreen pattern?
    He just deletes the lockscreen data file and it's swipe to unlock. And even if USB debugging is off, you can't defeat JTAG. Consider any data on that tablet to be public knowledge.