Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New Notification icon in bar that showed u after Jelly Bean update on tablet... WHAT IS IT?

I've attached photo of it. odd symbol with a capitol letter T at 5 o\clock. Spent an hour trying to hunt this symbol down.
    It appeared on my Sony Xperia tablet today after Update for Jelly Bean... after restart and reboot still there... combed thru my setting turning things on and off.. no luck.
    Hope some on can help :-)

Lisa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Notification icon in bar that showed u after Jelly Bean update on tablet... WHAT IS IT?-icon.jpg  

Default Re: New Notification icon in bar that showed u after Jelly Bean update on tablet... WHAT IS IT?

Just a guess, Bluetooth earpiece for the phone?
    Also check in settings to see if you have a hearing aid setting turned on.
    They use a similar icon.
    Last edited by Michael Vieux; 01-29-2014 at 07:20 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: New Notification icon in bar that showed u after Jelly Bean update on tablet... WHAT IS IT?

Yes- that's what I thought it was at first. No dice. The "T" must be a clue..

The only thing I can find says it's a setting for hearing aids, but those are for phones.
    One persons description described what you show complete with the T.
    There was only one answer and that again was for hearing aids in settings. The original poster did not answer back. (may have been you)

Ok the ear symbol by its self is an international symbol for a hard of hearing or deaf person.
    Much like the blue sign with a wheelchair is for handicapped.

Every answer I can find says to go to your Call Settings (perhaps sound settings) and scroll down untill you find a hearing aid setting.
    I don't know how this would apply a tablet.

Have you checked ​Settings>Accessbility?
    Michael Vieux likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It is a tablet so no call settings. Yes, been thru Accessibility a zillion times ...also input and sound. I have gone thru every setting possible in "setting" starting to think it is another app. It literally appeared after rebooting from a pushed system upgrade. Not convinced its an ear.. it look like SOMETHING being converted to text maybe? Audio to text? Grasping here.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaBT View Post
    I've attached photo of it. odd symbol with a capitol letter T at 5 o\clock. Spent an hour trying to hunt this symbol down.
    It appeared on my Sony Xperia tablet today after Update for Jelly Bean... after restart and reboot still there... combed thru my setting turning things on and off.. no luck.
    Hope some on can help :-)

Lisa
    It's the international symbol showing that there is a compatibility with hearing aids, cochlear implants and other devices that support a 'T - Loop'
    It could easily be linked to an application that offers this facility - these include msn, Skype or other voip services, podcasts, mp3 players & other applications of this ilk.
    I think that it must be enabled in one of these applications & that's why it's showing.
    It may also have popped up if you were in a building that has the T-loop system installed, such as a bank, town hall, concert hall or movie theatre.
    What happens if you turn your phone off then on, does it reappear? I must admit, it's certainly strange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Sorry I've exhausted my limited knowledge of all things Icon Related.
    I still think it has something to do with hearing, and yes it's an ear
    Roguetrader has posted with an explanation of what it is, so maybe his suggestions will help.

When you do solve it, please post the resolution so I can store it in my leaky memory bank.
    Good Luck.

Silly question.
    Did you drag down the Notification bar and see if you can tap on the icon and get an app to open?
    While the Notification bar is down do you have a bar at the top with all the settings icons available? Scroll right to left or visa versa to see all of them
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Again- this icon popped up at home right after a pushed Jelly Bean upgrade. So I want it a building with T-loops , etc. I literally did update and there it was.
    I have gone thru every possible setting.. turning things on and off, task killers, etc and wont go away. If I could figure out name of symbol I might figure out what is enabled.
    My next step is to do a factory reset which seems kind fo drastic to get rind of an icon. My only concern is that other than being annoying is this a feature that is using up battery or system CPU.

So.... still no resolution! I thought for sure some one would know what it was. If I called Sony would they have a clue????
    Thanks