1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default An incredibly 'newbie' question

What is the 'dock'? Is it that little thing that you pull down from the top, or is it what I would consider the 'desktop', the workspace part of the screen? This isn't defined in the dictionary (probably because it is so incredibly rudimentary to many of you!) People are talking about customizing it, so I'm thinking it's the latter, but I'm not sure. Thank you!

The screen is three parts.

1) at the top is the Notification Bar or Status Bar. This is what you can pull down.

2) The main part of the screen is the Homescreen where apps/widgets can be placed for easy navigation and personalization.

3) At the bottom is the Dock. Depending on your device or home replacement app this can looking decidedly different. On stock Froyo it has a grid that is the icon for apps with phone and browser icons on the left or right. For Samsung phones, it's like on the iPhone (4 icons with various functions) for Sense devices it has the call button in the middle and app drawer and settings buttons on the left and right.

Hope that helps.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, thank you, that helps greatly. I will get to know Android better, it's all new to me.

No problem. It can be confusing at first. Don't be afraid to ask questions.