Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

It's annoying that there are apps almost every week that need to be updated. For example stuff like Amazon and the worst is the NFL app. Anyway I wanted to uninstall some of these apps through application manager but it seems that apps that came with the phone can't be uninstalled. There is no uninstall option. The only time there is a uninstall option is when it's a app I installed myself. So the only option I have for apps that came with the phone are as follows, Force stop, uninstall updates and Disable. There is a option show notifications it's currently tick yes. What I want to know should I choose the option Disable only and that will stop the prompting of pending updates available and to stop checking for updates. Is this what I should do ?

When I select the option force stop it gives me a warning saying: the app may misbehave.

When I select the Disable force stop it gives me a warning saying: If you disable a built in app, other apps may misbehave & your data will also be deleted.

Should I just untick the show notifications box ?

Will I extend battery life by disabling these apps ?

I have a LG G2 by the way and is it just LG that does not allow customers to uninstall apps or does moto x,sony,samsung and others do the same ?

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott111 View Post
    It's annoying that there are apps almost every week that need to be updated. For example stuff like Amazon and the worst is the NFL app. Anyway I wanted to uninstall some of these apps through application manager but it seems that apps that came with the phone can't be uninstalled. There is no uninstall option. The only time there is a uninstall option is when it's a app I installed myself. So the only option I have for apps that came with the phone are as follows, Force stop, uninstall updates and Disable. There is a option show notifications it's currently tick yes. What I want to know should I choose the option Disable only and that will stop the prompting of pending updates available and to stop checking for updates. Is this what I should do ?

I have a LG G2 by the way and is it just LG that does not allow customers to uninstall apps or does moto x,sony,samsung and others do the same ?
    You can't uninstall System Apps, but you can however disable them. To get rid of the update check, you have to go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates. It's the same on all phones. You will need root if you want to get rid of them. You may want to disable Auto-Update in the play store's settings as well.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You can't uninstall System Apps, but you can however disable them. To get rid of the update check, you have to go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates. It's the same on all phones. You will need root if you want to get rid of them. You may want to disable Auto-Update in the play store's settings as well.
    So I should disable each separately through application manager and then go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates, okay done. What if I do use a app and there is a update for it will it still get updated ? of coarse I won't disable those but I did disable notifications for updates.

Last quick question Last question: A verizon app called Verizon Support & Protections keeps asking me if I want it to protect my phone, from virus/malware and whatnot, do I really need that crap on my phone ? thanks

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott111 View Post
    So I should disable each separately through application manager and then go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates, okay done. What if I do use a app and there is a update for it will it still get updated ? of coarse I won't disable those but I did disable notifications for updates.

Last quick question Last question: A verizon app called Verizon Support & Protections keeps asking me if I want it to protect my phone, from virus/malware and whatnot, do I really need that crap on my phone ? thanks
    You don't have to disable the apps, that's just if you don't want them running in the background. You just have to disable notifications and auto-update it shouldn't give you update notifications + it won't update apps automatically (it uses your data!). You will have to update the app manually.

The Verizon app is just bloatware. You don't need it. You can disable it and replace it with something like Mobie, Comodo, AVG, Avast, Symantec, Lookout or Malwarebytes if you are concerned about protection.

Mobie:

Comodo:

AVG:

Avast:

Malwarebytes:

Lookout:

Symantec:
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

I actually think that frequent updates is a good sign that the developer is paying close attention to their app, and also probably listening to feedback from the user.
    Rukbat and Sizzers like this.

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I actually think that frequent updates is a good sign that the developer is paying close attention to their app, and also probably listening to feedback from the user.
    I can agree and disagree. Sometimes it's good to get a lot of updates, but it's not worth it if the supposed add-on's are unnecessary.

srkmagnus likes this.

That's true, of course. A good developer will typically say what's been updated in the What's New section of the app page on Google Play, so that can give you a good idea.
    srkmagnus and wizzrah like this.

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    That's true, of course. A good developer will typically say what's been updated in the What's New section of the app page on Google Play, so that can give you a good idea.
    If the developers think that the update will really benefit the user, than by all means let the updates rain! (I still think they might get overwhelming at some point :P)

Global Posts
    13,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Another way to look at it is updates at least tell you the developer still pays attention to the app.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    wizzrah likes this.

As a developer, I would say because of poor testing. They are not adding features every week. It is because of bugs reported. I guess, in their defense, there are many versions of Android out there and many phones and they cannot test their app on all of them. So, I guess updates to fix bugs is better than bugs, but a well tested app is better. That is what Betas are for. A lot of app developers that are not larger companies just release the app and that is the "beta".

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

If you want to uninstall them , you should open root power first . You can use some apps to open root .

来自 MI 2A 上的 Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You don't have to disable the apps, that's just if you don't want them running in the background. You just have to disable notifications and auto-update it shouldn't give you update notifications + it won't update apps automatically (it uses your data!). You will have to update the app manually.
    Disabling a system app also removes it from the Play store list of installed apps. Your way would still leave them in the apps to update list in Play. I do agree disabling Play notifications is good so it's not bothering you. Disabling bloatware also helps save space. Apps can get bigger as they update, plus the cache and data that builds up over time.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

There are other reasons for constant updates, of course. My TV listings app gets a new listing about every week.