Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    It's annoying that there are apps almost every week that need to be updated. For example stuff like Amazon and the worst is the NFL app. Anyway I wanted to uninstall some of these apps through application manager but it seems that apps that came with the phone can't be uninstalled. There is no uninstall option. The only time there is a uninstall option is when it's a app I installed myself. So the only option I have for apps that came with the phone are as follows, Force stop, uninstall updates and Disable. There is a option show notifications it's currently tick yes. What I want to know should I choose the option Disable only and that will stop the prompting of pending updates available and to stop checking for updates. Is this what I should do ?

    When I select the option force stop it gives me a warning saying: the app may misbehave.

    When I select the Disable force stop it gives me a warning saying: If you disable a built in app, other apps may misbehave & your data will also be deleted.

    Should I just untick the show notifications box ?

    Will I extend battery life by disabling these apps ?

    I have a LG G2 by the way and is it just LG that does not allow customers to uninstall apps or does moto x,sony,samsung and others do the same ?
  2. #2  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,064 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott111 View Post
    It's annoying that there are apps almost every week that need to be updated. For example stuff like Amazon and the worst is the NFL app. Anyway I wanted to uninstall some of these apps through application manager but it seems that apps that came with the phone can't be uninstalled. There is no uninstall option. The only time there is a uninstall option is when it's a app I installed myself. So the only option I have for apps that came with the phone are as follows, Force stop, uninstall updates and Disable. There is a option show notifications it's currently tick yes. What I want to know should I choose the option Disable only and that will stop the prompting of pending updates available and to stop checking for updates. Is this what I should do ?

    I have a LG G2 by the way and is it just LG that does not allow customers to uninstall apps or does moto x,sony,samsung and others do the same ?
    You can't uninstall System Apps, but you can however disable them. To get rid of the update check, you have to go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates. It's the same on all phones. You will need root if you want to get rid of them. You may want to disable Auto-Update in the play store's settings as well.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

    In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You can't uninstall System Apps, but you can however disable them. To get rid of the update check, you have to go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates. It's the same on all phones. You will need root if you want to get rid of them. You may want to disable Auto-Update in the play store's settings as well.
    So I should disable each separately through application manager and then go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates, okay done. What if I do use a app and there is a update for it will it still get updated ? of coarse I won't disable those but I did disable notifications for updates.

    Last quick question Last question: A verizon app called Verizon Support & Protections keeps asking me if I want it to protect my phone, from virus/malware and whatnot, do I really need that crap on my phone ? thanks
  4. #4  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,064 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott111 View Post
    So I should disable each separately through application manager and then go into the Play Store's settings and disable notifications for updates, okay done. What if I do use a app and there is a update for it will it still get updated ? of coarse I won't disable those but I did disable notifications for updates.

    Last quick question Last question: A verizon app called Verizon Support & Protections keeps asking me if I want it to protect my phone, from virus/malware and whatnot, do I really need that crap on my phone ? thanks
    You don't have to disable the apps, that's just if you don't want them running in the background. You just have to disable notifications and auto-update it shouldn't give you update notifications + it won't update apps automatically (it uses your data!). You will have to update the app manually.

    The Verizon app is just bloatware. You don't need it. You can disable it and replace it with something like Mobie, Comodo, AVG, Avast, Symantec, Lookout or Malwarebytes if you are concerned about protection.

    Mobie: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...opath.mobilemd

    Comodo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...modo.pimsecure

    AVG: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.antivirus

    Avast: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobilesecurity

    Malwarebytes: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.antimalware

    Lookout: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.lookout

    Symantec: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile.security
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

    In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

  5. #5  

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    I actually think that frequent updates is a good sign that the developer is paying close attention to their app, and also probably listening to feedback from the user.
    Rukbat and Sizzers like this.
  6. #6  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,064 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I actually think that frequent updates is a good sign that the developer is paying close attention to their app, and also probably listening to feedback from the user.
    I can agree and disagree. Sometimes it's good to get a lot of updates, but it's not worth it if the supposed add-on's are unnecessary.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

    In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

    srkmagnus likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    That's true, of course. A good developer will typically say what's been updated in the What's New section of the app page on Google Play, so that can give you a good idea.
    srkmagnus and wizzrah like this.
  8. #8  
    wizzrah's Avatar

    Posts
    4,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,064 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    That's true, of course. A good developer will typically say what's been updated in the What's New section of the app page on Google Play, so that can give you a good idea.
    If the developers think that the update will really benefit the user, than by all means let the updates rain! (I still think they might get overwhelming at some point :P)
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

    In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Another way to look at it is updates at least tell you the developer still pays attention to the app.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    wizzrah likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    As a developer, I would say because of poor testing. They are not adding features every week. It is because of bugs reported. I guess, in their defense, there are many versions of Android out there and many phones and they cannot test their app on all of them. So, I guess updates to fix bugs is better than bugs, but a well tested app is better. That is what Betas are for. A lot of app developers that are not larger companies just release the app and that is the "beta".
  11. #11  
    vlongxiav's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    If you want to uninstall them , you should open root power first . You can use some apps to open root .

    来自 MI 2A 上的 Tapatalk now Free
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    You don't have to disable the apps, that's just if you don't want them running in the background. You just have to disable notifications and auto-update it shouldn't give you update notifications + it won't update apps automatically (it uses your data!). You will have to update the app manually.
    Disabling a system app also removes it from the Play store list of installed apps. Your way would still leave them in the apps to update list in Play. I do agree disabling Play notifications is good so it's not bothering you. Disabling bloatware also helps save space. Apps can get bigger as they update, plus the cache and data that builds up over time.
  13. #13  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,863 Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

    Default Re: Why do some apps need to be updated like every week ?

    There are other reasons for constant updates, of course. My TV listings app gets a new listing about every week.

Similar Threads

  1. not sold on moto x after a week
    By shelbylido in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 08:52 AM
  2. Need louder speakers
    By lonzo438 in forum Alcatel One Touch Fierce
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 11:23 PM
  3. ICS to JB 4.1
    By thatguy97 in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  4. Just sold my bricked phone with Gmail accts in Google Play App
    By hell911 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM
  5. Why I get <Subject: no subject>* sms
    By noteiii007 in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions