Browser History cleared, but I can still go "back" to see sites where I've been. Why?

Bill Satterwhite

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I went to Browser > Settings > Privacy & Security. Here, I cleared...
Cache
History
Cookies
Form Data
Passwords...
Everything that could be cleared. Yet when I close and reopen the Browser, it starts on my Homepage, but I can still hit the back button and see previously visited sites. Is there a "Clear" function that I'm overlooking?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this the stock Android Browser, Chrome, or some other browser?

On either the stock Browser or Chrome, if you actually close the only browser tab that's open, I think it should start from a clean slate. On Chrome, tap the tab icon at the top of the screen (it should say "1" if there's only one tab open)--then swipe away that tab, and you'll just get a blank Chrome screen. Tapping "New Tab" from that screen will start from scratch.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this the stock Android Browser, Chrome, or some other browser?

On either the stock Browser or Chrome, if you actually close the only browser tab that's open, I think it should start from a clean slate. On Chrome, tap the tab icon at the top of the screen (it should say "1" if there's only one tab open)--then swipe away that tab, and you'll just get a blank Chrome screen. Tapping "New Tab" from that screen will start from scratch.

That happens to me in firefox sometimes. Google will still remember searches, but once I close the current tab, it cleans it.

Bill Satterwhite

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
B. Diddy, thanks for the reply. Turns out it was a classic case of Operator Error. Instead of tapping "Exit" to close the Browser (stock Android browser), I was using the Task Manager to close the Browser. I happened to notice the "Exit" option at the bottom of the list, and all's good. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non