Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Bill Satterwhite
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Browser History cleared, but I can still go "back" to see sites where I've been. Why?

I went to Browser > Settings > Privacy & Security. Here, I cleared...
    Cache
    History
    Cookies
    Form Data
    Passwords...
    Everything that could be cleared. Yet when I close and reopen the Browser, it starts on my Homepage, but I can still hit the back button and see previously visited sites. Is there a "Clear" function that I'm overlooking?

Default Re: Browser History cleared, but I can still go "back" to see sites where I've been. Why?

Welcome to Android Central! Is this the stock Android Browser, Chrome, or some other browser?

On either the stock Browser or Chrome, if you actually close the only browser tab that's open, I think it should start from a clean slate. On Chrome, tap the tab icon at the top of the screen (it should say "1" if there's only one tab open)--then swipe away that tab, and you'll just get a blank Chrome screen. Tapping "New Tab" from that screen will start from scratch.
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Browser History cleared, but I can still go "back" to see sites where I've been. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Is this the stock Android Browser, Chrome, or some other browser?

On either the stock Browser or Chrome, if you actually close the only browser tab that's open, I think it should start from a clean slate. On Chrome, tap the tab icon at the top of the screen (it should say "1" if there's only one tab open)--then swipe away that tab, and you'll just get a blank Chrome screen. Tapping "New Tab" from that screen will start from scratch.
    That happens to me in firefox sometimes. Google will still remember searches, but once I close the current tab, it cleans it.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

B. Diddy, thanks for the reply. Turns out it was a classic case of Operator Error. Instead of tapping "Exit" to close the Browser (stock Android browser), I was using the Task Manager to close the Browser. I happened to notice the "Exit" option at the bottom of the list, and all's good. Thanks.
    B. Diddy likes this.