1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play high-risk error!

I've got a US Gmail account that I've got linked to Google Play. I've just loaded it with $25 worth of Google Play credits via a gift card, but it won't let me download any paid apps saying that it's high risk. I've waifed the prescribed 30mins as indicated, tried logging out and logging in, restarting the phone, etc, no dice. High risk every time.

Now, I'm actually NOT from the US so I don't have a driver's license, US credit card or anything. Just a US Gmail account that I can't get verified. How do I fix this? Is my $25 stuck and unusable forever?

Default Re: Google Play high-risk error!

That's normal for any Google account, especially if it's a new one. I had the very same issue (bought a Note 10.1 2014 in the US, got Play credit but needed an US account to make it work, but I'm actually in Mexico).

So, a few things that would help.
    1) Wait around 48 hours. It's a new USA account, you just loaded money into it, and you probably want to buy stuff when connected in another country. RED flag for Google. They're just looking out for you and trying to make sure it is really you who wants to use the money.
    2) I'd recommend using a VPN to 'mask' your connection as being in the US. This makes things a lot smoother but not necessary if your account is validated.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Will wait another thirty minutes and give it a shot. I actually used TunnelBear to create the account itself. But, yeah, tried to purchase from my home country while not on the VPN.

The first day I tried and tried and tried (even on VPN) and couldn't get it to work, so don't overdo it. If it doesn't work today chances are it won't work in 30 minutes... just wait until tomorrow. I'm not sure if they take 'hammering' as a red flag too and it ends up prolonging the 'high risk' status on your transaction.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Got it. I'll give it 48 hours then. Thanks a lot.

Gah! I just want to buy a freaking icon pack. Lol.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Made it work. In case anyone is interested, I logged out first from the account, restarted the phone (for good measure), and then turned on the VPN again BEFORE I added the account in the Android settings. I think what was setting off the red flag was that I was logging in from my home country and then transacting from the US (via VPN).

Although, I need to do that all over again when I need to download more apps.

Not necessarily. Once the account has been 'verified' (i.e. it let you make a purchase once), it won't flag it as high risk. I've been buying apps with the US account without VPN since the first one and I haven't had any issues.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm getting high risk still when not on VPN. But when I switch on Tunnel Bear, it comes through fine.

Hummm...that's odd... I haven't had issues since :S Well, at least you got it working and can now spend those 25 bucks :P