1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NFC to open specific document

I'm trying to figure out if I can use NFC tags to open specific documents. I do repair on computers, and would like to start keeping my repair notes digitally, but want a simple way to open the correct notes for a device, and am thinking NFC tags could be a great way to do it. Walk up to a device, scan the tag, and have the correct repair notes open to start editing.

Is this doable? I'm having trouble finding specific information on the forum or in a general internet search.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Default Re: NFC to open specific document

It depends on what app you're using to open the notes. If there's an intent that allows you to open up a specific document in the app you want then you can do what you want with Tasker. It will likely be a bunch of 'If' statements, which may be messy, but still possible. Once you get that figured out you'd be able to access the notes other ways (e.g. voice) as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    It depends on what app you're using to open the notes. If there's an intent that allows you to open up a specific document in the app you want then you can do what you want with Tasker. It will likely be a bunch of 'If' statements, which may be messy, but still possible. Once you get that figured out you'd be able to access the notes other ways (e.g. voice) as well.
    Well it needs to be something that doesn't require a lot of setup each time. Each tag would get reprogrammed with a new document link probably 2-3 times a week. So far it almost seems like I'm better off doing QR codes and putting up with using Google Docs in a browser instead of the app, but it seems like there ought to be a better way. A solution that opens in the app would be preferred, and the NFC tags would be better so I didn't have to open a QR scanning app to open each document.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Well it needs to be something that doesn't require a lot of setup each time. Each tag would get reprogrammed with a new document link probably 2-3 times a week.
    The initial setup would probably take a little while, but it would be fairly easy to make a scene that allows you to change what document each NFC tag points to. You'd just assign a different task for each tag (I'm not sure there's a way to differentiate between tags within a task, but that would be cool) and that task would point to a document using a variable. The scene would change the variable for each task, so it would point to a different document. So your document path for NFC tag 1 might look like

storage/emulated/0/Work/%Nfctag1

And the scene would change %Nfctag1 to the name of the file you want that tag to point to.

So you wouldn't have to actually reprogram the tag, you'd just change what Tasker does when it reads each tag.

Again, this all depends on you being able to find a text editor that has an intent (share) to open a file from a path to use for editing the files.