Tethering speed and mobile internet

tv658

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a little problem that I was wondering if there's a solution to. I use the mobile hot spot feature on my phone a lot, both wireless and USB tethering. Starting around mid January to about a few days ago I've gotten excellent speeds via tethering. I've been able to browse the web and watch videos with no problem at all, however the past couple of days have been an absolute struggle with tethering my phone to my computer.

I've been getting horribly slow speeds, unable to stream or watch videos on youtube and almost to the point where I can only do a few things online to begin with. Here is where I'm a little confused, the actual phone on my internet is completely fine, when I un-tether and just go on facebook or websites it loads perfectly fine(I talking about my roaming internet here). It's just when I tether my phone to my computer the speed just dramatically drops.

My question is, why the sudden change in speed for the past couple of days? Could Verizon be throttling my tethering speed? I'm open to any suggestion or answer :) Could weather be any affect, or time of day I sign on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using Verizon's official mobile hotspot feature, or a 3rd party solution like FoxFi?

If you're using Verizon's, there certainly might be some sort of cap. T-Mobile limits tethering to 2.5 GB/month if you have the unlimited data plan. There's no harm in calling Verizon and asking them.

If you're using FoxFi, you might get some frownie faces from Verizon if you ask them about it, though ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2