Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any way to disable internet browsing for a tablet used by kids?

With all the ads in games these days taking you out to the internet to browse and buy things, is there any way to disable internet borwsing from an actual browser while still leaving it open for things like Youtube? I can't uninstall the browser itself I don't think but if there's a way to disable it, or even just to disable downloading files from the internet, I'd be interested in that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-09-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Any way to disable internet browsing for a tablet used by kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemvor33 View Post
    With all the ads in games these days taking you out to the internet to browse and buy things, is there any way to disable internet borwsing from an actual browser while still leaving it open for things like Youtube? I can't uninstall the browser itself I don't think but if there's a way to disable it, or even just to disable downloading files from the internet, I'd be interested in that.

Thanks.
    I'm not sure how to approach this. You can disable it in the app settings in android. If not, you can try Comodo Mobile Security and set up a firewall to block the browser from accessing the internet. I don't know if this requires root though...
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

B. Diddy likes this.

Install Kids Place, an excellent parental control launcher.
    wizzrah likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Install Kids Place, an excellent parental control launcher.
    That might work. I'll have to play around with it a bit to see what all it can do. Can't find many decent reviews online but reviews in the store seem good. I'd have to set that app as the tablet's default launcher so it comes up as soon as it's turned on then, right?

Thanks.

I like it a lot. Once the launcher is loaded up, you can't exit out of it unless you know the PIN that you set up. You can't access the System Settings either, which would prevent your kids from turning on wifi. You can select which apps to be available for your kids.

I don't think you can set it up to load up by default if you're poweing the tablet on from an off state. However, once you start the launcher up, it will stay active when you put the screen to sleep. So as long as you don't power the tablet down, the launcher will be what shows up.