Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question What Are All The Little White Icons Upper Left?

What are all the little white icons in the upper left?

I keep getting more of them. Currently, I have four blank ones that look like squarish cartoon talk balloons , then a down facing arrow pointing a horizontal line, then something so difficult to describe I will skip it; then a google symbol, then something I can't make out; then what looks like a Pause symbol; then a series of five rectangular boxes with a semi-circular loop on top forming what looks like the handle on a briefcase. The first one of these has an M in it; the next a check mark, then an arrow like a Play arrow for a sound device, then two more check marks.

Is there a key to these symbols somewhere?

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: What Are All The Little White Icons Upper Left?

Those are notifications. If you swipe down from the top of the screen with 1 finger you will see the notification shade with corresponding information for each icon. Notifications from that shade can be either pressed, which opens the app, or swiped right to left to dismiss it.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

My guesses for what your notifications are, as it sounds like you don't know.

Square cartoon talk balloons - Hangouts
    Down facing arrow facing a horizontal line - currently downloading something
    Pause symbol - probably music, radio or video paused
    Five rectangular boxes - Gmail
    M - Gmail
    Play arrow - app updates available.

Global Posts
    7,434 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Also, post a screen shot and we'll let you know what notifications are present. Pulling the notification shade down will tell you what these icons mean.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Also, post a screen shot and we'll let you know what notifications are present.
    How do I post a screenshot?

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Pulling the notification shade down will tell you what these icons mean.
    I pulled it down and I see what looks like a list of everything I've done since I got the device a week or two ago. And the line of little white notification icons keeps growing longer. Where will it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    How do I post a screenshot?
    To take a screenshot, press and hold the Power and Vol Down buttons at the same time, for about half a second. The screenshot will save, and you can then access it by swiping down the Notifications and tapping the screenshot notification.

To post it, you either have to use the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app (you can't post images using the main Android Central app), or transfer the screenshot to your computer and post it on the Android Central forums website using your computer browser. For me, the easiest way to transfer a screenshot is as follows:

1. On your phone, select the screenshot, and Share it to your Google Drive (the Share button is the 3 dots connected by a line at an angle).
    2. On your computer, download that same screenshot from Google Drive to your computer.
    3. On the Android Central forums site, start a post, and click on the Attach Image button (which is in the row of edit buttons above where you're typing)--it's the button right next to the globes, and just under the smileyface).

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    And the line of little white notification icons keeps growing longer. Where will it stop?
    To clear notifications, swipe down the shade, and tap on the icon that looks like 3 horizontal lines that are offset slightly to each other.