Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Moving to France and Need Help with Frequencies and Phones

I will be moving to France in a couple weeks and have been fretting over my phone situation because I cannot seem to find a straight answer, and I've tried to do a lot of searching. I'm currently subscribed to Verizon and have a GS3, which I had presumed wouldn't work in Europe.

What I would like to know is how do I tell if a phone I purchase here in the US will work with a French carrier, such as Orange? I've examined the UnlockOnline website for the frequencies and have found this:

Network / Company: Orange / Orange France
    Network Technology: GSM / 3G / 4G
    2G Bands: GSM 900 / 1800
    3G Bands: W-CDMA 2100
    4G Bands: LTE 2600
    2G Data: GPRS / EDGE
    3G Data: DC-HSDPA+ 42 Mbps / HSUPA 5.8 Mbps

The difficulty I have is that I don't know what values I MUST match if I were to purchase a phone. I had assumed that I needed to match one of the GSM bands for talk/text and the LTE band for data, but what about the HSDPA/HSUPA?

For instance, my GS3 supports the following (I think/hope):

LTE 750
    CDMA 850 / 1900
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

So for this phone, would I be able to use voice/text but not LTE? Would any data connection work with this phone? Would any phone I purchase here in the US work or is it just easier to buy the phone over in France?

I guess what I'm really asking: what numbers have to match to get my magical combination of voice/data/text? I'm overwhelmed with the data and the millions of other things I have to do before I move to a different country! I greatly appreciate any help.

Global Posts
    13,973 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Moving to France and Need Help with Frequencies and Phones

Quote Originally Posted by brymo View Post
    I will be moving to France in a couple weeks and have been fretting over my phone situation because I cannot seem to find a straight answer, and I've tried to do a lot of searching. I'm currently subscribed to Verizon and have a GS3, which I had presumed wouldn't work in Europe.

What I would like to know is how do I tell if a phone I purchase here in the US will work with a French carrier, such as Orange? I've examined the UnlockOnline website for the frequencies and have found this:

2G Bands: GSM 900 / 1800
    3G Bands: W-CDMA 2100
    4G Bands: LTE 2600
    2G Data: GPRS / EDGE
    3G Data: DC-HSDPA+ 42 Mbps / HSUPA 5.8 Mbps

The difficulty I have is that I don't know what values I MUST match if I were to purchase a phone. I had assumed that I needed to match one of the GSM bands for talk/text and the LTE band for data, but what about the HSDPA/HSUPA?

For instance, my GS3 supports the following (I think/hope):

LTE 750
    CDMA 850 / 1900
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

So for this phone, would I be able to use voice/text but not LTE? Would any data connection work with this phone? Would any phone I purchase here in the US work or is it just easier to buy the phone over in France?

I guess what I'm really asking: what numbers have to match to get my magical combination of voice/data/text? I'm overwhelmed with the data and the millions of other things I have to do before I move to a different country! I greatly appreciate any help.
    I am honestly not really sure myself. It looks like you are correct that you would have no connectivity to LTE. I am under the impression that it may be easier to wait until you get to France, then buy the phone there.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    brymo 

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Default Re: Moving to France and Need Help with Frequencies and Phones

Quote Originally Posted by brymo View Post
    Verizon S3 CDMA.

That eliminates the phone from use in Europe. Period.

Contact the company you want to use in France and ask them for a list of phone model NUMBERS (not S3 but i9300) they support. Then decide manufacturer, features, etc., from those models. Then shop around (there re suppliers who sell by model number) and buy one, or wit until you're there and buy one there.

It's not just a voice frequency and a data frequency, it's the correct technology (GSM), the right data frequencies AND technologies for both the company and the area. (What will work in Nice may not work in Paris for the same company.)

It would be easier if we had a cellphone standard. The problem is that we have too many cellphone "standards".
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.