Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default May I Ask About Wireless Routers Here?

My Cisco E2000 is over 3 years old and had numerous falls. I don't know what (if any) of my speed and connectivity issues from time to time are due to the router but I'd like to get a new one to see if things improve. I'm willing to spend up to $100 (if spending more means getting more) Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Default Re: May I Askl About Wireless Routers Here?

Hello,

I am too in the market for a new wireless router. Having asked many of my fellow team members here at Android Central I have heard very good things about ASUS Routers. I've had Cisco and currently a NetGear which I have to reboot numerous times a day.

Link below will get you into a nice model for about $124.

Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    17,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: May I Ask About Wireless Routers Here?

Last I knew, both Asus and Cisco were the two best brands to get.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

My 14 year old Linksys failed a couple of months ago (it should have died years ago - it was running in a closet that could run to 120 degrees in the summer), so I replaced it with a Linksys N900. I don't like the current UI, but otherwise no complaints. The wireless printer connected right up and prints from the phones (using Cloud Print), the 2TB USB drive plugged in and ran from the start, and the router covers the entire property, corner to corner. (It's about half an acre.) If it lasts half as long as the old one (and this one's in an air-conditioned room), I'll be happy.

To give you an idea of the quality they build, my great grandkid found a Linksys router in the woods behind his house last spring. Wet, filled with flakes of dried leaves - filthy. I opened it up, shook it clean and closed it up. (One of the antennas was missing, the other one was broken at the base.) When my old one gave out I figured "what the heck?" and hooked up the one from the woods. It was late and cold and I didn't want to go out late in the evening to buy a new router.

We bought the new one a few days later. The old piece of junk from the woods is now clean and dry and in the "currently usable equipment" part of the workshop. Oh, it's a WRT-54. It's an OLD router.

D-Link used to be pretty good, too. I have a couple of their old ones, still working. Netgear? Not as good, but still okay for home use. I wouldn't go any lower than that.

(ASUS? A company that puts a PATA connector on the motherboard and then, when it doesn't work, tells me that the connector wasn't supposed to be working, has a LONG way to go to earn back any respect I might have had for them.)
    Last edited by Rukbat; 02-20-2014 at 07:41 PM.

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers but... my old router was 10 years old and I was replacing my and my wife's laptops and thought I'd upgrade the router. I checked out several brands and because we got Mac books I thought I'd check out the Mac Airport Extreme. Went ahead a bought it. Yes, it is expensive - $200 - but it is a very well made, very fast, cool running, has a strong signal. It also is 802.11ac which handles 1300 Mbps. More than you need today but we never know what tomorrow will bring and even though it was a little pricy I figured I won't need to replace it for another 10 years. I really noticed a difference on my laptop and my Note 10.12014.

Posted via Android Central App

I have a D-Link DIR-825 that has been very reliable. Not as much success with an Asus RTN13u, although it wasn't terrible per se. Tried a cheap Zyxel router once--stay away from that one.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

My current router is working. How do I tell if it's working as well as it should? Until I bought my GN/2014, I was using my phone (Moto Droid) for my wireless needs. Surfing with 4G. MAN OH MAN what a shock to the system to find out my high dollar tablet surfed much slower connected via my home's wifi. I live in an 1800 sq foot house in the country, no neighbors (well there's one 300 yards to the north and one 300 yards to the south), single story. The Linksys EA4500 (N900) router keeps coming up in my searches. How would it be better than my Linksys E2000?
    And why do I want one with a USB port? Is this to wirelessly backup data to a thumb drive?
    Thanks everyone.

I just bought that Asus N66 router and I have been happy with it. Range is amazing. I use to not be able to get a signal outside but I get a great signal outside. I have no issues with the WiFi. The menus are easy to navigate and setting up a URL to access your router anywhere in the world is very very easy.

The Asus n66 isn't a pretty router but it was built for performance. Not looks.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Router/wifi unit with usb port(s) are great... You can add external USB hard drive ( I have 1TB drive connected) and you can use it as a "cloud" or a back up, or external storage that any computer on your internal network can access.... My dilemma was I have modem/router furnished by dsl provider and was sort of locked into it... I actually added a wifi "access point" (for my tablets wifi access) , and USB port was a bonus....

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    My current router is working. How do I tell if it's working as well as it should?
    Normal thruput on the internet these days is approaching 2mbps. (That's not the speed you see with a speed test to a lightly-loaded server on a large pipe 30 miles away, that's the average speed you'll get downloading files from Someplace, Earth.) Evan an 802.11B router, 11mbps, can do better, so the router isn't really the bottleneck these days. For one computer. Run 4 phones, a few tablets, 3 laptops, 2 desktops and everyone is watching movies, and your bandwidth requirements go WAY up. (Bandwidth is to speed as tallness is to height.) If you can watch a Youtube video, download a file at 500kbps or better, your router is working.

Until I bought my GN/2014, I was using my phone (Moto Droid) for my wireless needs. Surfing with 4G. MAN OH MAN what a shock to the system to find out my high dollar tablet surfed much slower connected via my home's wifi.
    Then you had a problem. Maybe the size of the house or the placement of the router. Maybe something in the router wasn't working right.)

The Linksys EA4500 (N900) router keeps coming up in my searches. How would it be better than my Linksys E2000?
    I looked at both of them when I was ooking to replace my blown one. For a few more dollars I got a USB port.

And why do I want one with a USB port? Is this to wirelessly backup data to a thumb drive?
    I have a 2TB drive plugged into it. My wife has stuff stored on it, I have stuff stored on it, and we have miles of empty space on it. It's, as Dale says, our own little "cloud". I don't have to share my whole desktop to get into it with the phone when I'm outside - any files I'd want to share are on the network drive. It's faster to back up to the network drive than to Google or Dropbox. And for about $4, why not? (The 900 was on sale.) Would I have spent $30 more? Probably not, since I always have a couple of servers running, the drive could have been connected to one of them. But it's "network" drive, and it's on a shelf in the "network" area. SWMBO likes things neat.

Take a look at one of the Asus, they have a lot of features and usually compatible with DD-WRT firmware as well.

Watch the N66 Asus routers. Just read this in Ars Technica...

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...xploited-flaw/

I am happy I have an N68.

Wow thats scary. I would of loved to bought the n68 but it was put of my budget. The n66 was already put of my budget but I said screw it, I'll pick it up.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

Quote Originally Posted by randall2580 View Post
    Watch the N66 Asus routers. Just read this in Ars Technica...

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...xploited-flaw/

I am happy I have an N68.

I think Asus has or is addressing this issue. Does suck that it happened but same time goes to show how nothing is safe anymore from hackers.

I will still be purchasing an Asus router, just make sure it's locked down and constantly updated with the newest firmware to avoid these issues.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
    randall2580 likes this.