[Q] ad-hoc on Asus ME172V: cant replace wpa_supplicant

brendensen

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to modify my Asus ME172V tablet so it can access an ad-hoc wi-fi connection.

The best method appears to be replacing the wpa_supplicant file.

So far I've rooted the tablet and I believe I've granted write access to the system (see below).

However when I try to push a modified wpa_supplicant file I get a 'permission denied' error. When I try to copy the file from the sdcard with Root Explorer after mounting with write access I get a 'paste failure' error.

How can I replace the wpa_supplicant file? Or is there another way I can enable ad-hoc access?

The results of the mount command are:

mount
rootfs / rootfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /Removable tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /system ext4 rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_a
lloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered,
noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk1p13 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=0,journal_check
sum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1
023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /Removable/MicroSD vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,rel
atime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allo w_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,io
charset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

brendensen

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Wifi isn't enabled when you're trying to replace the file, is it?

Thanks Rukbat for the fast and helpful reply. Turning off wifi did the trick for the copying.

Unfortunately wifi won't turn on with the replacement wpa_supplicant. I'll try and find a different wpa_supplicant that enables ad-hoc and works in the tablet. Or perhaps find another way to enable ad-hoc.

Thanks again,

db

brendensen

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I've searched and found 3 different wpa_supplicant files that all apparently enable ad-hoc on other devices. Unfortunately on the ME172V wi-fi can't be turned on with any of them.

Anyone know of a wpa_supplicant that enables wi-fi and will work with the ME172V?

I want a tablet with ad-hoc wi-fi as a controller for my music server. If I can't come up with a solution soon I guess I'll just buy a Windows tablet and sell the ME172V.

brendensen

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again Rukbat! I really appreciate your taking the time and making the effort to share your knowledge.

I've ordered a WAP and will give it a try.