Moving music without a computer

laeanee

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I need some help. I have a 16 gb card in my galaxy S2 phone full of pics, videos & music. I just got a galaxy tab pro & bought a 32 gb card at same time. I would like to transfer all my music from the 16gb card to the 32gb card & then use the 32 gb card in the S2 (since I like having my music portable & take pics with the phone) & put the 16gb card in my pro. What's the simplest way to do this? I don't have a pc, but I have wifi (if that'd be any help). Thanks.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I need some help. I have a 16 gb card in my galaxy S2 phone full of pics, videos & music. I just got a galaxy tab pro & bought a 32 gb card at same time. I would like to transfer all my music from the 16gb card to the 32gb card & then use the 32 gb card in the S2 (since I like having my music portable & take pics with the phone) & put the 16gb card in my pro. What's the simplest way to do this? I don't have a pc, but I have wifi (if that'd be any help). Thanks.

You could use a wifi transfer app or upload the content to a cloud storage service. You can even use ES File Explorer if you want.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you have absolutely no access to a computer, you could upload your files to Google Drive, then download them on your Tab with the 32 GB card inserted. Then swap the cards. If you have a lot of music files, though, this might be pretty tedious.

Are you able to use a computer at your local library, or somewhere like that? If you're allowed to use the hard drive on that computer, it'd be much easier to remove the 16 GB card, insert it into a computer (using a microSD-to-standard-SD adapter), and copy the music files to the local hard drive. Then remove the 16 GB card from the computer, insert the 32 GB card, and copy the music files onto it.

- - - Updated - - -

You could use a wifi transfer app or upload the content to a cloud storage service.

Hey wizzrah, do wifi file transfer utilities like AirDroid or Wifi File Explorer allow you to transfer files directly between two devices? I thought it could only be between a device and a computer.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you have absolutely no access to a computer, you could upload your files to Google Drive, then download them on your Tab with the 32 GB card inserted. Then swap the cards. If you have a lot of music files, though, this might be pretty tedious.

Are you able to use a computer at your local library, or somewhere like that? If you're allowed to use the hard drive on that computer, it'd be much easier to remove the 16 GB card, insert it into a computer (using a microSD-to-standard-SD adapter), and copy the music files to the local hard drive. Then remove the 16 GB card from the computer, insert the 32 GB card, and copy the music files onto it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey wizzrah, do wifi file transfer utilities like AirDroid or Wifi File Explorer allow you to transfer files directly between two devices? I thought it could only be between a device and a computer.

Some wifi file transfer apps display your device as an IP that you can visit on your browser. I'm about to experiment with this right now.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

I just confirmed this works!

I downloaded this app called Wifi File Transfer: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....smarterdroid.wififiletransfer&token=bk0qNOGY

It will display your phone as an ip that you can visit on your other device (Galaxy Tab Pro)

From there, you can select what you want to download.

Move the downloaded content to the SD Card.

Switch the SD Cards and voila! You have moved the content on your SD Card without a PC.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And this can be done without being connected to a common wifi network, like a home network?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
And this can be done without being connected to a common wifi network, like a home network?

Both devices have to be on the same wifi network. This is not a public IP where anyone can visit it, this is an IP only visible in your home network.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Wizzrah's method sounds cool. In the past I've done it just by swapping an old card to a new phone, copying to phone, then swapping in a new card and moving from phone to card. Not the cleanest way to do it but it got the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Wizzrah's method sounds cool. In the past I've done it just by swapping an old card to a new phone, copying to phone, then swapping in a new card and moving from phone to card. Not the cleanest way to do it but it got the job done.

That would work if you have enough space in your internal storage! I've actually done this before...

On a side note that's slightly off-topic, there's also another cool way of storing stuff: You can create your own cloud storage server.
It's easy to do and anyone can do it. I know it's probably easier to just use Dropbox or Google Drive, but I make my own cloud storage servers all the time. I wonder if I could make a how-to guide. Lol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the OP has a home wifi network but no PC, how is that home wifi network set up? I'm not familiar with setting up a home wifi network without a PC. Are you talking about having a free public wifi signal? This wouldn't be the same as having your own home wifi network, and I'm not sure wizzrah's solution would work if we're talking about only having a free public wifi signal.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
If the OP has a home wifi network but no PC, how is that home wifi network set up? I'm not familiar with setting up a home wifi network without a PC. Are you talking about having a free public wifi signal? This wouldn't be the same as having your own home wifi network, and I'm not sure wizzrah's solution would work if we're talking about only having a free public wifi signal.

I believe for wireless internet, all you need is:

1. A modem
2. A router
3. An ISP providing internet service.

I think that's it.

On a public wifi network, it would probably be displayed as a shared device or something similar to that and it would be visible to everyone on that network. That would be dangerous if you have a lot of important content.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That would work if you have enough space in your internal storage! I've actually done this before...

On a side note that's slightly off-topic, there's also another cool way of storing stuff: You can create your own cloud storage server.
It's easy to do and anyone can do it. I know it's probably easier to just use Dropbox or Google Drive, but I make my own cloud storage servers all the time. I wonder if I could make a how-to guide. Lol

Oh wow, how do you do that? Sounds great! :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know where I would put a guide for this :'(

General help and how to. Would be a good spot. Take a few days to draw up an outline. The other Ambassadors and I can help draw it up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe for wireless internet, all you need is:

1. A modem
2. A router
3. An ISP providing internet service.

I think that's it.

On a public wifi network, it would probably be displayed as a shared device or something similar to that and it would be visible to everyone on that network. That would be dangerous if you have a lot of important content.

Ok. I'm so used to setting up a home wi-fi network with a PC that I've never considered how it'd work without being able to connect the router to the PC (to access the router settings, change the security settings, etc.).

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I'm so used to setting up a home wi-fi network with a PC that I've never considered how it'd work without being able to connect the router to the PC (to access the router settings, change the security settings, etc.).

How do you have it set up with a PC? :O I'm interested...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I've been hoping I wouldn't need to access the settings because my desktop has been down for over a year. But then I thought if I did have to, I could probably do it from my phone. I hope that's the case, and I think it is. :)

I'm so used to doing everything internet related on my phones now. The actual keyboard would be easier through.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been hoping I wouldn't need to access the settings because my desktop has been down for over a year. But then I thought if I did have to, I could probably do it from my phone. I hope that's the case, and I think it is. :)

I'm so used to doing everything internet related on my phones now. The actual keyboard would be easier through.

Android FTW!