Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dancing-bass
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By dancing-bass
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Random apps keep installing by themselves

Something is wrong.
    I do nothing and once a day I see a new app is installed on my phone.
    I made a factory reset, then installed only a couple of the most important apps. After that, a month later, it began again. Is it a virus? I don't know, because I install "Avast!" - no warninds, then "Lookout" - it also says no malware is found. The programs it installs look fine, they are not malware at all.

What should I do now? Should I report to any antivirus company?

Default Re: Random apps keep installing by themselves

In Settings, Security, Unknown Sources uncheck allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

In the Google Play Store app, tap the 3 dots and choose Settings. Uncheck automatic updates/installation. Good luck! It is probably an app you installed which has adware, sometimes they lead to automatic installation of other apps. It happened to me once from either a game app or a flashlight app or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Is it new apps being installed or is it current apps being updated? If they are new apps what are some of the names?

I would recommend changing your Google password. Heck, just to be sure do this:
    1) create new (temporary) password for your Google account, preferably from your computer.
    2) log out, log in using temporary password.
    3) create new password (8 characters, mix or letters and numbers, use uppercase and lower case, don't use something easily guessed, yada yada yada...)
    4) log out of Google on your phone and log in with the new secure password. If you like, do a factory reset before logging in with the new password.

If you've got a rogue app that's accessed your Play Store, this SHOULD stop it in its tracks.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

mrsmumbles, of course I did it immediately, it never help at all.
    dancing-bass, It's all new apps, I had never heard of them before they "introduced" themselves!
    Here are some of them:
    * mobogenie (I hate this one especially, because I remove it and it keeps installing again and again)
    * Du Speed Booster,
    * One "kind of" antivirus, don't remember which, an icon with a blue shield.
    and lots more.

Seems like it's their method of "promotion" - an illegal downloads counter increase, it's an awful method they use to go up to the top of charts.
    dancing-bass, I will try to do what you advise me to.
    But I won't do a factory reset, tired of doing it and then configuring everything again from scratch.

Welcome to Android Central! Mobogenie is one of the more frequently mentioned apps when it comes to potential malware (or at least unwanted apps). The PC-based Mobogenie program comes up a lot as a "Potentially Unwanted Program" in Google searches. Dancing-bass's instructions will hopefully get rid of it, but if those apps keep coming back, you really ought to consider factory reset, because these unwanted app installations could also include other malware that could wreak more havoc.

If you decide to factory reset, before you do so, I would go to Settings>Backup & reset, and uncheck "Automatic restore," so that any unwanted app won't be automatically restored upon restarting.
    dancing-bass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    If you decide to factory reset, before you do so, I would go to Settings>Backup & reset, and uncheck "Automatic restore," so that any unwanted app won't be automatically restored upon restarting.
    Good call on unchecking the Automatic Restore. Forgot about that one!
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    B. Diddy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I did the factory reset without Automatic Restore, and it helped, this peculiar "activity" wasn't there for almost a month, then suddenly...
    Do I need to do it again? Oh, bother...
    Should I format the SD card as well? I did remove all files from there before... well alright, I will do it again.
    Regargind "mobogenie" - I have visited their Play page to send a report, and look what I've found on their description page:
    Recently we have understood that some of our users have been troubled by the automatic download of Mobogenie on to their Android Phones. While it has never been our intention to spam any user, we would like to apologise to them for the same. Having learnt that there was a technical issue with one of our promotional partners, we are trying our best to fix it at the earliest.
    Team Mobogenie keeps a close eye on all its promotions, and recommends the download of Mobogenie application only from reliable sources such as Google Play, Mobogenie.com and other partner networks. We ensure that there shall be no more inconvenience caused to any Android user in future.
    If you face this Problem or anything similar Issues again, Please write to us at with the below details.
    1. Website / app / Name that forced you to install Mobogenie automatically
    2. Screenshot of the site you are visiting
    3. Any other means; mobogenie is automatically downloading
    Genius! As you see, they blame imaginary "Website / app / Name".
    And what do they mean by "some of our users"? I have never been their user and don't want to be!
    I don't understand how such insolence is tolerated by Google???