Random apps keep installing by themselves

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Something is wrong.
I do nothing and once a day I see a new app is installed on my phone.
I made a factory reset, then installed only a couple of the most important apps. After that, a month later, it began again. Is it a virus? I don't know, because I install "Avast!" - no warninds, then "Lookout" - it also says no malware is found. The programs it installs look fine, they are not malware at all.

What should I do now? Should I report to any antivirus company?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In Settings, Security, Unknown Sources uncheck allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

In the Google Play Store app, tap the 3 dots and choose Settings. Uncheck automatic updates/installation. Good luck! It is probably an app you installed which has adware, sometimes they lead to automatic installation of other apps. It happened to me once from either a game app or a flashlight app or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it new apps being installed or is it current apps being updated? If they are new apps what are some of the names?

I would recommend changing your Google password. Heck, just to be sure do this:
1) create new (temporary) password for your Google account, preferably from your computer.
2) log out, log in using temporary password.
3) create new password (8 characters, mix or letters and numbers, use uppercase and lower case, don't use something easily guessed, yada yada yada...)
4) log out of Google on your phone and log in with the new secure password. If you like, do a factory reset before logging in with the new password.

If you've got a rogue app that's accessed your Play Store, this SHOULD stop it in its tracks.

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
mrsmumbles, of course I did it immediately, it never help at all.
dancing-bass, It's all new apps, I had never heard of them before they "introduced" themselves!
Here are some of them:
* mobogenie (I hate this one especially, because I remove it and it keeps installing again and again)
* Du Speed Booster,
* One "kind of" antivirus, don't remember which, an icon with a blue shield.
and lots more.

Seems like it's their method of "promotion" - an illegal downloads counter increase, it's an awful method they use to go up to the top of charts.
dancing-bass, I will try to do what you advise me to.
But I won't do a factory reset, tired of doing it and then configuring everything again from scratch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Mobogenie is one of the more frequently mentioned apps when it comes to potential malware (or at least unwanted apps). The PC-based Mobogenie program comes up a lot as a "Potentially Unwanted Program" in Google searches. Dancing-bass's instructions will hopefully get rid of it, but if those apps keep coming back, you really ought to consider factory reset, because these unwanted app installations could also include other malware that could wreak more havoc.

If you decide to factory reset, before you do so, I would go to Settings>Backup & reset, and uncheck "Automatic restore," so that any unwanted app won't be automatically restored upon restarting.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If you decide to factory reset, before you do so, I would go to Settings>Backup & reset, and uncheck "Automatic restore," so that any unwanted app won't be automatically restored upon restarting.

Good call on unchecking the Automatic Restore. Forgot about that one!

shalmu

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I did the factory reset without Automatic Restore, and it helped, this peculiar "activity" wasn't there for almost a month, then suddenly...
Do I need to do it again? Oh, bother...
Should I format the SD card as well? I did remove all files from there before... well alright, I will do it again.
Regargind "mobogenie" - I have visited their Play page to send a report, and look what I've found on their description page:
Recently we have understood that some of our users have been troubled by the automatic download of Mobogenie on to their Android Phones. While it has never been our intention to spam any user, we would like to apologise to them for the same. Having learnt that there was a technical issue with one of our promotional partners, we are trying our best to fix it at the earliest.
Team Mobogenie keeps a close eye on all its promotions, and recommends the download of Mobogenie application only from reliable sources such as Google Play, Mobogenie.com and other partner networks. We ensure that there shall be no more inconvenience caused to any Android user in future.
If you face this Problem or anything similar Issues again, Please write to us at Support@mobogenie.com with the below details.
1. Website / app / Name that forced you to install Mobogenie automatically
2. Screenshot of the site you are visiting
3. Any other means; mobogenie is automatically downloading
Genius! As you see, they blame imaginary "Website / app / Name".
And what do they mean by "some of our users"? I have never been their user and don't want to be!
I don't understand how such insolence is tolerated by Google???

georgeb85

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the new mpie from XGODY, that I run off Straighttalk BYOP. Ever since having this phone, I have had the same exact issue as the OP of this thread. I get automatic downloads from apps that I have never heard of, and never played before.

I have tried reformatting several times, and only installing very basic apps that I need.

My apps currently are:
Ebay, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Paypal Here, Paypal, Chrome browser, Alarmdroid, QR Code, The Weather App, Calculator, and Gas Buddy.

It annoys me cause I get it at least once every other day. I am not worried over space, but the fact that I dont know why it keeps happening, and the last thing I don't want is identity theft, or stealing my info.

I am shocked that Google Play allows this to happen at all.

I have gone into settings and unchecked automatic updates to see if that hopefully helps.

sarika choudhary

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
i m facing d same problms of random installing of unwanted apps.apps are keep installing by themselves are mention below:

wifi toolbox
ilocker
look booster
quikr
mobogenie

these are apps which get installed.some more apps get install i dnt rember d name...one is some security type app n all.
do somthink i hav done factory reset and all,evan i hv chnge my google pasward.but than too i m still facing same issue.
I am tired now.please give me some advice.because of these my phone started hanging.

ben o m

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
these apps keep installing no matter how many times i uninstale them..its making me hate my phone
1 ilocker(this covers my screan and i cant do anything unless i activate it.
2 lucky try
3 tap boost
4 cool browser
5 mini browser
6 game
:(
please help.air push app has failed to help me:mad:

yuvi874

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
iam having same problem then i come to know there are three system apps installed in which one was monkey test whenever i clear ram this app
keeps on running it does not stop so i was thankfully able to remove it from my phone and i thing that was the only problem
i have purchased new intex mobile in which this was happening it came installed default
so till now the problem is solved
reply if helped
i will provide antivirus app which will help you to detect the type of virus in your phone if anyone replies

ankit jaiswal7

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
iam having same problem then i come to know there are three system apps installed in which one was monkey test whenever i clear ram this app
keeps on running it does not stop so i was thankfully able to remove it from my phone and i thing that was the only problem
i have purchased new intex mobile in which this was happening it came installed default
so till now the problem is solved
reply if helped
i will provide antivirus app which will help you to detect the type of virus in your phone if anyone replies

Pls give me the d link m hvng same problem of monkey test nd two other test as well like time test nd factory test ......nd dat nw app evryday prblm too!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SaqibSoftwares

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The same happening with me right know but I have successfully solved it myself.
Can you please tell me is you android device is ROOTED or UNROOTED?
Can't check root status? Kindly check there is an app installed in your phone named like "Kingo Root", "Super User" or "Super SU" etc?

yuvi874

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
How did you resolve it
And my phone is not rooted
And if problem still exist after deleting monkey test then when you delete money test uncheck install apps from unknown resources

Vinod Bhoir

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Same here in my Sony Xperia Tipo
I Follow other Guys steps....
I Uncheck Unknown Resources....
And Disable Automatic Updates from Play Store ( I'm not using this/already uninstalled )
But no Solution.....
I change my GMAIL password....But no Solution

Names of Apps ( Keep installing automatic in my Android )
1.WeCal
2.Quickr
3.Omni Swipe...............Now my Head is aching...wtf...I can't stop this :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

SaqibSoftwares

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
A malicious app silently download and install other malicious apps without user permission so you just needs to find that malicious app. Malicious app can also be on Google Play as well as from unknown sources. Because you can't detect which app is malicious you have to follow the following security tips.

1.Uninstall all the unnecessary apps. (the apps you have some doubt on them)
you can get the list of all apps here Setting > Apps > Downloaded

2. Restrict background data/wifi access of all apps except (Facebook, whatsapp, twitter, google play and all common apps)
because malicious apps use background data/wifi to download other malicious apps/ads and upload your data (logs, passwords, pics etc) to the hacker. So by restricting of background internet usage malicious apps can not download/upload secretly.

Setting > Data usage > select each app one by one you want restrict > scroll down > check "Restrict Background Data".

3. Install an advance firefall from google play (check the rating and reviews while selecting one) and create rules which app can access internet.

A malicious app can be more dangerous than your thinking. It can secretly record your video and can take pictures from your front and back camera without your knowledge it can also record your passwords, can leak your contacts, can read your whatsapp and much more you can't imagine.

So Please take care all.