Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tablet with built in GPS

Pipo M9pro is a nice tablet but the GPS antenna must be terrible. I cant get a good signal in the car. I have a Bluetooth and USB GPS dongle and I want to use either one of these. I have two problems. First I would think I need a driver and secondly I need to somehow add the GPS to the list of Location units. It has the built in GPS and the Wifi there but I have no idea how to sort this. Can anyone help? This is my first tablet but have been in IT and Electronics for over 40 years but tablets are something new !

Also has anyone "Rooted" this tablet successfully?

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by gm1mqe; 02-27-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Add info

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Tablet with built in GPS

If you use the dongle as USB, you need an OTG cable to enable host mode in the tablet. But there's no way to tell Android to use any GPS other than theone in the unit.

A very common problem is that the GPS antenna is connected to the motherboard by spring fingers, and they're not tensioned enough to make a good contact. Aside from the time taken in assembling and disassembling the unit, the fix takes about 5 seconds. But opening it voids the warranty. I't try to contact the seller and arrange for a warranty exchange.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have managed to get the Bluetooth GPS dongle to work but USB is having problems. There are a number of Apps available to handle USB and Bluetooth and will display Lat/Lon but some of the Mapping software does not have the option to switch GPS "Provider"

Cheers, Andy

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

I'd say that 99.9% of people using GPS want it for directions - i.e. map-type programs. Which is why I said that there's no way to tell Android to use a different GPS. Knowing your lat/lon may be nice, but to most people it's useless info.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have it working with the Bluetooth Dongle. It is a Bluenext 903. I am using the Bluetooth GPS App and set it to mock locations and also set that in settings. First time I need to pair the two units and then the Maps App sees the GPS and show where I am. I always use Lat/Long but that is probably due to me sailing for the last 55 years !

Cheers, Andy