Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "insufficient charge current" problem

Hello.

For the last few days, my Dell Venue 8 tablet always has the following message wherever I try to charge my tablet: "Insufficient charger current". In other words, my tablet won't consistently charge even with my charger is plugged in. (I also sometimes get the message: "Plugged In, not charging.") For example, my battery life would be at around 65% and even with the charger plugged in, the battery life dropped down to 64, 63,62... instead of going up to 66,67,68..100%. I have the app "Battery Doctor" installed and sometimes it would annoyingly popup the message "charger complete" even though the charger hasn't been completed. I do have anti-virus protection software installed and clean up history, cache, and memory on a daily basis. Do I need to get a new charger to fix this annoyance?

Thanks.

PS: I also get the message "ATM Notification after boot" everytime I turn on my tablet. Does anyone know what that means?

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: "insufficient charge current" problem

1) It's possible that the tablet wasn't designed to draw enough current to both charge the battery and run the tablet from the charger, so turn the tablet off when charging.

2) Try a different charger, preferably one that can supply at least 1 Amp (1,000mA), and try a different cable.

3) If wiggling the plug in the tablet's charging port makes any difference, get the tablet repaired as soon as possible - it means that the charger port has become partially disconnected, and the bad connection could end up damaging the tablet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The tablet does charge when the tablet is turned off. Also, on your third suggestion, sometimes when my USB cord wiggles causes that message to appear. Sometimes, the tablet will state "Not Charging" even though it is plugged into a USB drive. When I first got the tablet, the charger was faster even with the tablet screen turned on when plugged in to USB drive. Maybe I have to uninstall little used programs and apps to speed up the charge. My tablet's storage is about 14 GB and I have about 5 GB of free space left.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Or maybe your microUSB port isn't securely connected to the board, so very little current is getting through to the battery. How much free storage you have has absolutely nothing to do with how ong it takes to charge the battery. Apps and data in storage don't use battery.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I now solved my problem. I realized that my Dell USB charger is the problem. I don't know why considering that the wire looks fine. Maybe it's loose. I plugged my tablet with a USB charger that I used for my phone and I don't get the same problems that I get with the Dell USB charger.