Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problem with Android and Chrome Syncing Bookmarks

I have a new Samsung Tab 3. Logged in with my Google account. However none of my bookmarks are syncing. Google Dashboard says I have the right number of bookmarks, but none show up in Chrome. Had a similar problem with my iPad 2 but then they suddenly appeared. Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Problem with Android and Chrome Syncing Bookmarks

Log out from both the tablet and computer. Log back in first from the Tablet and see if the bookmarks appears. This is how I got this issue fixed on my Samsung Tab.
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M

Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure Chrome is set to sync in your account settings? Go to Settings/Accounts-Google/[your Google account] and make sure Chrome is checked.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes, Chrome is set to sync, but still not syncing. Went to Advanced Sync Settings. Checked Sync Everything. Did not work. Tried Use Default Settings, did not work. Noticed that Chrome is not listed in the Advanced Sync Settings, but did this all while logged into my Google account. Syncing is working between my iPad, Macbook and Windows computer, but not with the Samsung Tab 3. bo Chrome is set as my default browser, but there is no box to check for Chrome for anything in Settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried it, did not work.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

When I go to Chrome Sync page on my Tab it says I have 1496 bookmarks, but when I go to Chrome and look for the bookmarks, the Desktop and Other Bookmarks are empty. There is a Samsung Mobile bookmarks folder in the Mobile bookmarks folder, but all the bookmarks are the Samsung bookmarks that came pre-loaded with the device.

When you say Advanced Sync Settings, do you mean in the system or in Chrome? In Chrome, have you gone to Settings/[your Google account]/Sync, and made sure everything is set to sync there?

You could try clearing the cache and all data from Chrome in Settings/Apps/All, then restart Chrome and sign back in. See if the bookmarks sync then.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes, advanced settings in Chrome. Cleared the cache and restarted but it did not work.

Did you Clear Data as well?

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Finally got it to sync. Don't know why it worked, but logged in using an alternative Google account and it synced. Thanks for the advice.

Interestingly, I encountered this issue as well. I recently re-enabled Chrome on my Asus TF300T tablet to see if it runs any faster these days (it seemed to cause a lot of lag before). Of course, I updated it to the most recent version, then signed in with my Google account. Just like you, I found no bookmarks synced over to the Desktop Bookmarks folder. I should have tried it before updating Chrome, but I wonder if some of the recent Chrome updates might have broken the initial bookmark sync. I sent a bug report to Google about it. Glad you got yours working, though!

By the way, Chrome is still considerably slower than the stock Browser on the TF300T!

Red face Re: Problem with Android and Chrome Syncing Bookmarks

great answer, the simplest and yet the most accurate. Question is how did I uncheck it in the first place?

Welcome to Android Central! I have found that the Chrome sync unchecks itself occasionally for no clear reason. Not sure if it has to do with updates to the app.

I am using a galaxy tab 3 7.0 and i recently had to do a factory reset. I primarily use the default browser instead of chrome and had a ton of bookmarks that i am now missing that were NOT synced with chrome. However, when i saved the bm's, i linked them to my gmail as my brother and i share use of this tablet. Now, when i look at the bm's, i am not linked with my gmail, and everything i have tried to do to get this an problem corrected has not worked. I've tried logging in and out so many times it's ridiculous. Theproblem, as far as i can tell is that in the device's system settings under accounts there îs no option to "sync internet" or "sync browser". I'm getting frustrated and wondering what happened to all my supposedly saved bm's?

Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure, but I think the stock browser on Samsung devices doesn't sync with Chrome at all. From prior threads on this, I think you can't even export the bookmarks. Do you remember if there ever was a checkbox for "Internet" or "Browser" in Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]​?

i have the same issue
    im running rooted 4.4.2 on sgs5 mini and recently i enabled 2 factor google auth and my problems started
    my chrome doesnt sync with my android along with my Drive sheet docs and google play movie
    i tried everything but still problem exist

Unhappy Re: Problem with Android and Chrome Syncing Bookmarks

Yup, under my Asus phone's sync settings, Browser is not listed, so I can't sync my stock browser's bookmarks to Google

And there is no function in the stock browser's settings for me to export the bookmarks anywhere.

The Chrome Browser in my phone only lists bookmarks of my Desktop's Chrome...but not my stock browser's bookmarks.

Okay, I'm another one who has had problems syncing my Chrome bookmarks with both my Samsung S5 phone and my iPad. I had gone into my bookmark manager on my desktop to clean out some junk and duplicate bookmarks, then exported my bookmarks to an HTML file. I then deleted all my bookmarks in Chrome and imported the saved file. But I noticed that I no longer had an Other Bookmarks folder. Instead I had an Imported Bookmarks folder and a Bookmarks Bar folder for the bookmarks I had saved on my Chrome bookmarks bar. I had also cleaned out my bookmarks on my phone and iPad to get a fresh set that would match with my nice clean set on my desktop browser. No joy--the bookmarks would not sync no matter how much I played with the settings, logged in and out, everything I could think of. I noticed that there were three folders on my Samsung, titled Desktop Bookmarks, Other Bookmarks, and Mobile Bookmarks, but all were empty. I decided to go into the Bookmark Manager on my desktop and create a new folder that I named Other Bookmarks. I then moved all the bookmarks from the Imported Bookmarks folder to the Other Bookmarks folder, and lo and behold all the bookmarks were on my phone and iPad. So check and be certain that the main folder in your bookmarks is titled Other Bookmarks.