Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Edit: 3-18-14 Update- I have now tried 3 different methods and all have failed, if you are an expert in rooting please help me it would be deeply appreciated!



    I have tried rooting several times and failed-- every time the same error comes up, it says it's on "recovery" and that's where it "fail"'s

    I am using the latest version of odin and am getting the latest autoroot for the right model of my phone.
    I basically followed the instructions in this video:


    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    It can depend on which version you have. Even though they are all S4s, the programming is all a little different, so rooting may be different as well. I would look this over: GalaxyS4Root.com - Learn How To Root Samsung Galaxy S4, install custom ROMs, and more!

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    thank you for your help but I would like a 1 step root if possible, any other solutions?
  4. #4  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    5,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Root Android phone, flash custom ROM and manage your Android devices, Rooting Freeware Download - Kingo is one step, and about as close to doing it manually as it gets. (It does what has to be done and that's all - except for installing one Chinese app on your phone. I have no idea what it does, I don't read Chinese, but uninstalling it didn't cause any problems.) Don't get nervous when it takes a while, gives you all sorts of "downloading" messages and reboots the phone - that's all the normal way it works. And don't worry about the time it takes to connect to the site and download the program - it's a slow server.

    If it finds that it has no exploit for your particular phone (the first step in rooting), it just tells you that it can't root the phone and leaves neatly.

    Once it roots the phone, don't remove the program from your computer. If you ever decide you want to remove root (like to update the phone), run Kingo again and the Root button will become an Unroot button and that's what it will do - unroot your phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Root Android phone, flash custom ROM and manage your Android devices, Rooting Freeware Download - Kingo is one step, and about as close to doing it manually as it gets. (It does what has to be done and that's all - except for installing one Chinese app on your phone. I have no idea what it does, I don't read Chinese, but uninstalling it didn't cause any problems.) Don't get nervous when it takes a while, gives you all sorts of "downloading" messages and reboots the phone - that's all the normal way it works. And don't worry about the time it takes to connect to the site and download the program - it's a slow server.

    If it finds that it has no exploit for your particular phone (the first step in rooting), it just tells you that it can't root the phone and leaves neatly.

    Once it roots the phone, don't remove the program from your computer. If you ever decide you want to remove root (like to update the phone), run Kingo again and the Root button will become an Unroot button and that's what it will do - unroot your phone.

    OK, so I tried this method, and it failed too.
    It said "Root Failed, Flash Failed!"

    any ideas why its doing this or more importantly, how to fix it? It's a pretty fresh phone so I can't imagine I could have done much to cause it difficulty.
    . I appreciate your help really need to root it....
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    I just tried it again, it is still giving the same error, here is a screenshot of the error its giving me:


    picture share
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    It can depend on which version you have. Even though they are all S4s, the programming is all a little different, so rooting may be different as well. I would look this over: GalaxyS4Root.com - Learn How To Root Samsung Galaxy S4, install custom ROMs, and more!

    I have also tried your route too now and still hasnt worked.
    I went through the site, which lead me to his root video here:

    unfortunately, mine freezes on a certain section in the screenshot below (where in his video it goes ahead and pushes through and roots)...

    I never knew it would be this hard rooting, please help!

  8. #8  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Did you get the 'Allow' question on your phone?

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Did you get the 'Allow' question on your phone?
    No I didnt, I should also add that the version of my phone is for ATT (but that is what these rooting methods I used were targetted for anyway, so I still dont know what the issue could be)
  10. #10  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by rebel2401 View Post
    No I didnt, I should also add that the version of my phone is for ATT (but that is what these rooting methods I used were targetted for anyway, so I still dont know what the issue could be)
    I would try again with a different root method from the same site.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I would try again with a different root method from the same site.
    I've already tried 3 root methods directed for my phone... can you please help diagnose what could be the issue? What does the flash error mean? How do I fix that?
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Not sure what it means. Here is another method to try.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not sure what it means. Here is another method to try.

    I just tried this method, it didn't work. Now that ive gone through the process, it is the same as the other screenshot I posted above. It uses the exact same program motochopper, and the exact same thing happens as before, it freezes on that stage which I posted a screenshot of, whereas is in his video, he's just good to go and it finishes.

    God I need to root this I dont know why my phone is struggling so much to root!
  14. #14  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,692 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,132 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    What baseband version are you on? Settings>About device

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  15. #15  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    5,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    I know that there's no rooting method for the Note 3 on Kit Kat yet. That may hold true for the S4 also. You might check the AT&T S4 section on XDA to see if anyone has any way of rooting yet. (I suspect not, or there would be notices in the AT&T Note 3 section already. We knew about Safestrap as soon as it worked on the Verizon version of the Note 3, long before there was an AT&T version.)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    Any word if rooting is possible now(for 4.4.2)? It's been about a month
  17. #17  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    5,646 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

    Default Re: Help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

    I haven't seen anything, other than that Kingo doesn't even intend to do any more work on it, because it's proving to be too difficult. Which is why I'm still on 4.3, and why the next phone I'll buy, which will be a while, will be rootable AFTER the next version of Android comes out. I want a Linux box in my pocket, but I also want it to be able to talk and text. I hope that by the time I need a new phone, carriers will be selling something like an Ubuntu phone that's as completely open as Ubuntu has always been.

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot connect or communicate with Google servers
    By lunytnz in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 08:59 AM
  2. Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: WIFI issues
    By Scott Stearley in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
  3. REGRETTING rooting my phone: Help!
    By alphanse in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM
  4. Turf Raiders Card Battle (Free on Android)
    By chrisatwpp in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
  5. Clicking on links within downloaded PDFs
    By katiermacgregor in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions