Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ealevenish
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you backup screenshots on android? (samsung galaxy s4)

Ok so pictures and videos appear to automatically backup with Google+, but I restored my phone and my screenshots didnt come over! Is there a way to adjust the settings to also backup screenshots? I have look and cannot find it.

If this is not an option, what are the other best screenshot backup methods? (note I have an unrooted phone)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: How do you backup screenshots on android? (samsung galaxy s4)

I believe G+ does it now. but only from the latest update that went out last week. Haven't tested it myself.

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by rebel2401 View Post
    Ok so pictures and videos appear to automatically backup with Google+, but I restored my phone and my screenshots didnt come over! Is there a way to adjust the settings to also backup screenshots? I have look and cannot find it.

If this is not an option, what are the other best screenshot backup methods? (note I have an unrooted phone)

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Open the Photos App > Settings > Backup.

Scroll down to enable backup local pictures on the device.

Use caution. If you have a lot of pictures on your device it may upload everything. Make sure you are on wifi if that's the case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post

Use caution. If you have a lot of pictures on your device it may upload everything. Make sure you are on wifi if that's the case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    I dont see these options, when I click photos app > settings, tthe options are
    -Auto Backup
    -then Accounting settings
    -then an About Section

(I couldnt find the option you were referring to even within the menus in settings)

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by rebel2401 View Post
    I dont see these options, when I click photos app > settings, tthe options are
    -Auto Backup
    -then Accounting settings
    -then an About Section

(I couldnt find the option you were referring to even within the menus in settings)
    I have Build Version 4.3.0.62241793. Check the Play Store to make sure you have the latest update.

Open the Auto Backup Option then scroll down to the "Backup Settings" section. That's where you should see an option "Back up local folders". Check that.

If you don't have it it's because the app is not updated.
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rebel2401
    [...]what are the other best screenshot backup methods? (note I have an unrooted phone) [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post

Another m.o.:
    install Dropbox (free) on your mobile device and on your laptop or desktop computer, open Dropbox and set it to auto-copy/'sync' your photos (and videos) and you will automatically have duplicates of all of them – including your screenshots – in your Dropbox = available on your laptop or desktop computer, within minutes of shooting them.

Like srkmagnus said: "Use caution. If you have a lot of pictures on your device it may [try to] upload everything. Make sure you are on wifi if that's the case"!
    I would add: make sure the destination of the uploaded pictures and videos – if that is not Google+ but your Dropbox – has enough free space to accomodate them. A free Dropbox account/cloud offers 5GB of free storage space. That should be enough for a couple days of intensive photo shooting (like on vacation), but you would need to copy it all from your Dropbox to your laptop or desktop and delete it from Dropbox to reclaim that space for more photos and videos.
    Thanked by:
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Great alternative, Ealevenish!
    Banned

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

BTW, you can set Dropbox to only sync when you're on WiFi. That's obviously good for your mobile dataplan as it won't be affected.
    But if you're shooting e.g. police brutality/intimidation/power abuse you will want to sync/upload those photos/videos immediately to your Dropbox! Because if the fascists then decide to – illegally! – wipe them off your mobile device or impound it then it's no skin off your back because the photos and videos – evidence! – are already duplicated in your Dropbox!